Posted to alt.home.repair

Default louvered shutters - dipping

hello,

im repainting my antique shotgun home (new orleans) & its shutters.
the
shutters are of the louvered variety. from my research, it seems that
having them dipped may be the best way to go.

there is a place near us that does it for $4/foot, doesnt sound bad.
im just wondering about warping -- does dipping pose much of a risk to
the delicate louver blades? are there other concerns i should be aware
of? Strip Ease is the restorer, i have heard good things about them,
but i wanted to learn first what questions i should ask them prior to
doing it.

thanks for your help!

sm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 May 2007 07:15:44 -0700, spacemarine wrote:

hello,

im repainting my antique shotgun home (new orleans) & its shutters.
the
shutters are of the louvered variety. from my research, it seems that
having them dipped may be the best way to go.

there is a place near us that does it for $4/foot, doesnt sound bad.
im just wondering about warping -- does dipping pose much of a risk to
the delicate louver blades? are there other concerns i should be aware
of? Strip Ease is the restorer, i have heard good things about them,
but i wanted to learn first what questions i should ask them prior to
doing it.

thanks for your help!

sm

Had a pair of pine doors dipped a few years ago. The kind consisting of
stiles, top and bottom rails and 15 glass panels about 250mm X 125mm
separated by profiled mullions and rails.

When we got them back quite a lot of the joins had opened and some of the
components had slightly bowed. Some gluing and clamping and some planing
was necessary to re-square the doors and tighten the joints.

It's a good thing I had replaced the doorframe too otherwise there would
have been gaps round the doors you could drive a bus through.

I think it's entirely possible that the results would have been different
if the door had been a standard panel door.

YMMV but HTH

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 10:15 am, wrote:
hello,

im repainting my antique shotgun home (new orleans) & its shutters.
the
shutters are of the louvered variety. from my research, it seems that
having them dipped may be the best way to go.

there is a place near us that does it for $4/foot, doesnt sound bad.
im just wondering about warping -- does dipping pose much of a risk to
the delicate louver blades? are there other concerns i should be aware
of? Strip Ease is the restorer, i have heard good things about them,
but i wanted to learn first what questions i should ask them prior to
doing it

thanks for your help!

sm

As aardvark notes you should be prepared for some repairs after
dipping.
We had some louvered shutters dipped to remove layers of old paint.
Contractor failed to pick them up in time and they were left in the
tank.
It took some time for the wood to dry before repairs and painting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 10:14 am, wrote:

As aardvark notes you should be prepared for some repairs after
dipping.

interesting. my girlfriend spoke w/ them on the phone, they said that
what may happen is that the wood surface may become "fuzzy" w/ fibers
of wood after the dip & wash (power wash?). im not sure exactly what
this means, but if its superficial fuzz, then id think sanding would
take care of that.

ill call and talk to them myself, try to see exactly what they mean.

but, now im not sure if its a good idea. perhaps just rough sanding
would suffice to prep the shutters for prime & painting?

sm

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 3, 10:14 am, wrote:

As aardvark notes you should be prepared for some repairs after
dipping.

interesting. my girlfriend spoke w/ them on the phone, they said that
what may happen is that the wood surface may become "fuzzy" w/ fibers
of wood after the dip & wash (power wash?). im not sure exactly what
this means, but if its superficial fuzz, then id think sanding would
take care of that.

ill call and talk to them myself, try to see exactly what they mean.

but, now im not sure if its a good idea. perhaps just rough sanding
would suffice to prep the shutters for prime & painting?

If the existing finish is decent, sanding and priming and painting is the
way to go

louvered shutters - dipping [email protected] Woodworking 2 May 4th 07 04:21 PM
Small louvered doors? jtpr Woodworking 2 June 5th 06 11:27 PM
How to build a louvered door? Toller Woodworking 7 December 20th 05 11:54 PM
Louvered doors Andrew Gabriel UK diy 6 August 14th 05 04:43 PM
exterior adjustable louvered shutters [email protected] Home Repair 2 July 15th 05 03:45 PM