Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wind turban attic fan repair/replacement

During a recent wind storm, the wind turban attic fan came apart, and
the top part (circular turban part), blew off. I had a handyman to re-
attach it, but it was bent slightly, and it now squeals when it
turns. I am wondering if I purchase a new wind turban kit of the same
size, can I take the upper turban part, and install it onto the
existing lower stack part already in place on the roof. I'm sorry I
don't have the exact technical terminolgy for this. I'm a
grandmother, who isn't afraid to climb a roof, and/or tackle little
home repair jobs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 3, 8:51 am, wrote:
During a recent wind storm, the wind turban attic fan came apart, and
the top part (circular turban part), blew off. ...

That was almost certainly a turbine, not a turban...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 7:08 am, dpb wrote:
On May 3, 8:51 am, wrote:

During a recent wind storm, the wind turban attic fan came apart, and
the top part (circular turban part), blew off. ...

That was almost certainly a turbine, not a turban...

You're absolutely right!. . .I had been watching the movie, Aladdin,
with one of the grandkid's last night, and it has affected my
spelling;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 9:51 am, wrote:
During a recent wind storm, the wind turban attic fan came apart, and
the top part (circular turban part), blew off. I had a handyman to re-
attach it, but it was bent slightly, and it now squeals when it
turns. I am wondering if I purchase a new wind turban kit of the same
size, can I take the upper turban part, and install it onto the
existing lower stack part already in place on the roof. I'm sorry I
don't have the exact technical terminolgy for this. I'm a
grandmother, who isn't afraid to climb a roof, and/or tackle little
home repair jobs.

Fact is, according to what I've seen/read on the subject, a
passive (non-motored) turbine such as you seem to refer to, is
useless. Serves mainly as a target. Or noise-maker.

You'd be better off with either a ridge vent, or a motored vent
passing through the roof-deck, or a powered gable-vent.
Which would be best for you would depend on your situation.

Since you already would seem to have a cutout in the roof
deck, a powered vent like the second option above would
seem, from here, to be the simplest. From the outside
it looks like a big, flattened mushroom. You'd need 120v
power nearby, and install with make-on-rise t-stat.

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair

A post concerning replacing an attic fan was posted and to this I say:

You can get A powered attic fan that runs on it's own solar cell
array also.
The beauty of this is you don't need an electrician to run A circuit
and any time the sun is shining the thing runs. Simple!
Run the numbers to see if hiring an electrician or buying the solar
fan is less. My guess it's close to A wash.
H.R.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I should have mentioned that this attic fan is actually in a garage
area. . .It has been near useless anyway. A motorized attic fan would
likely run all the time, and suck up energy.

I just got back from Home Depot, where I purchased a replacement. If
it gets me by until the next time I re-roof, then I'll be happy.

I'm going to try to attach this new upper turbine portion to the
existing base. If not, I'll lift a few shingles, and instal the whole
new thing.

I can handle most jobs, as long as they aren't heavy, once I've
figured the process out!

Thanks for your input!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 11:46 am, wrote:
I should have mentioned that this attic fan is actually in a garage
area. . .It has been near useless anyway. A motorized attic fan would
likely run all the time, and suck up energy.

I just got back from Home Depot, where I purchased a replacement. If
it gets me by until the next time I re-roof, then I'll be happy.

I'm going to try to attach this new upper turbine portion to the
existing base. If not, I'll lift a few shingles, and instal the whole
new thing.

I can handle most jobs, as long as they aren't heavy, once I've
figured the process out!

Thanks for your input!

Myrl Jeffcoathttp://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Not having a "dog in the fight" so to speak, but, if you look at HD's
site, you'll see a thermostat bundled with typical attic vent fan,
by the mfg.

It'd be pretty stupid not to, considering different ambient conditions
from mid-Aug. to blizzard-time.

So, no, powered attic ventilators would run only as required to
hold temp set-point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was able to easily install the new top turbine part, to the old
prior installed base. Even the three holes to screw the top part to
the bottom lined up perfectly. . .So guess the gods were smiling on me
this day.

The hardest part of the job, was beating off the neighbors, who
claimed I shouldn't be climbing up there on a roof, while trying to
"discourage" me.

Mark one for this 64 year old granny. . .It's a done deal;-)

Thanks to all, for your input!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com