Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shenco Brick

Hello all -

I am doing some work on a house I just bought which was built in the
1950's. I am, predictably, having trouble finding brick to match the
original, which was made by Shenco, apparently long out of business.

Any hints on brick reclamation shops, antique brick storehouses I
might check? I did find one place on line, http://www.historicalbricks.com/antique-bricks.html,
but I haven't yet heard back from them.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could provide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nott Scorewood wrote:
Hello all -

I am doing some work on a house I just bought which was built in the
1950's. I am, predictably, having trouble finding brick to match the
original, which was made by Shenco, apparently long out of business.

Any hints on brick reclamation shops, antique brick storehouses I
might check? I did find one place on line, http://www.historicalbricks.com/antique-bricks.html,
but I haven't yet heard back from them.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could provide.

If the bricks in question were commonly used in your area you might be
able to obtain them from a local architectural salvage business. My 1964
home was built with used oddly-proportioned bricks which seem to have
come from post-war (Civil war that is) warehouse buildings. I needed
some to replace spalled bricks in a large retaining wall and found
reasonable numbers of them pre-cleaned and not too outrageously priced
at a local salvage business. I wouldn't want to pay that sort of price
for bricks to build a new house but for repairs it wasn't too painful.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 8:33 pm, John McGaw wrote:
Nott Scorewood wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much - I have had some luck with out of state salvage
firms, now it's a question of whether the combination of price and
shipping cost make this a worthwhile exercise.