Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window AC vent

I have a window AC unit. It has a small lever that opens a small hole
to the back. Should that be open or closed when the ac is on?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 2:12 pm, Terry wrote:
I have a window AC unit. It has a small lever that opens a small hole
to the back. Should that be open or closed when the ac is on?

That's your "fresh-air vent"- really. IMHO, only an entry-path for
bugs
when unit's not running. Air-flow negligible.

You should have seen a label like "vent" or "fresh-air."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
news
I have a window AC unit. It has a small lever that opens a small hole
to the back. Should that be open or closed when the ac is on?

Makes no difference. There is so little air moved it won't make a damned
bit of difference in the operation. I once asked a senior design engineer
that worked for one of the major AC manufacturers about it. He said it is
there because it is a "feature", not because it does anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 01 May 2007 20:38:27 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Terry" wrote in message
news
I have a window AC unit. It has a small lever that opens a small hole
to the back. Should that be open or closed when the ac is on?

Makes no difference. There is so little air moved it won't make a damned
bit of difference in the operation. I once asked a senior design engineer
that worked for one of the major AC manufacturers about it. He said it is
there because it is a "feature", not because it does anything.

I have mild claustrophobia, and I also don't like it when it's nice
out at night but my hosts don't want me to open the window.

So knowing that little hole is open might help me. Not sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

I have mild claustrophobia, and I also don't like it when it's nice
out at night but my hosts don't want me to open the window.

So knowing that little hole is open might help me. Not sure.

If it works, by all means, use it. We made a tooling modification on a fan
scroll plate for a fresh air vent. It was 1/2" by 1 1/2". Not much air was
going to get in, but this model was going to be sold by Sears and they
wanted it. Main reason was to be able to put a check in the box when
comparing to other brands.

Dryer Vent: Window Well Covers... waves2ya Home Repair 2 April 22nd 07 02:36 PM
Neighbour's boiler vent exhausts near/under my window J. UK diy 78 January 29th 07 10:26 AM
Window Vent Bush UK diy 1 October 15th 06 10:32 PM
Window and/or vent in bathroom Ray Home Repair 9 October 27th 05 06:56 PM
Old Window Fan Vent Thing [email protected] UK diy 2 February 20th 05 09:35 PM