Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to buy Refrigerator parts in local store (I am living in San Jose, CA)

My 7-year Kenmore refrigerator is not cooling any more. This is
killing me and my house food. After some investigation, I found the
problem could be fixed as easily as just replacing a small part (the
compressor Start Relay). Does anybody know where I can buy such a part
in local store of San Jose, CA. Or do you know what kind of store are
selling such parts? I am desperate and will really appreciate your
help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MILPITAS OUTLET
870 GREAT MALL DR
MILPITAS, CA 95035
(408)586-9763

Rich
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 29 Apr 2007 00:38:56 -0700, wrote:

My 7-year Kenmore refrigerator is not cooling any more. This is
killing me and my house food. After some investigation, I found the
problem could be fixed as easily as just replacing a small part (the
compressor Start Relay). Does anybody know where I can buy such a part
in local store of San Jose, CA. Or do you know what kind of store are
selling such parts? I am desperate and will really appreciate your
help.

Doesn't Sears have it? That would be best. I thought they were
pretty good about stocking parts. Although if they are insisting you
buy a whole compressor, that would not be a good idea. And you can't
install that without special tools and training.

If it is only a regular relay, and I can't imagine that it's not,
figure out the voltage on the coil, probably 110VAC, but measure it,
and how much secondary amperage it must carry, and how many poles you
need, and if you need double throw or not, and you might even be able
to buy it at radio shack. Or most cities have at least one electronic
parts store, and they would sell at least a couple relays. Get one
that will fit in the physical space available (by which I mean, see
how big that is before you leave home.)

San Jose is certainly big enough for one such store, and maybe more.
Loook under "Electronics, Parts and supplies" I think the category is,
but it might be different, and I'm not sure they even use all the same
categories everywhere in the country. But call the store first,
because some of them will sell no small parts at all, only microphones
and blank cassettes and crap like that.

Finallly
www.mouser.com and maybe www.mcmelectronics.com has relays,
and you can fast shipping if you pay for it.

Surely by now you've eaten all the food that requires refrigeration,
anyhow.

Try to get a relay that will accept the kind of connectors you are
currently using, but don't count on getting that. You may have to cut
the connectors off and solder the wires on. If you cant' solder while
it is stuffed in the refrigerator, connect added wire and fold it up
when you're done. If the replacement relay is too big, you may need
added wire to mount the relay someplace new. (I have the transformer
for my furnace/AC mounted a foot away from where the original one was,
because it is too big to fit in the original space. Been that way for
24 years.)

If the relay for sale has more poles than yhou need, that's ok. You
don't have to use them all. And if it is double throw, instead of
single, that's ok too because you don't have to use the other side of
the switch. Replacment relays often have the max number of poles and
throws so they don't have to stock too many models.

You just need to know that the secondary can carry the amount of
current that the current secondary carries. You can judge that by how
big the metal parts of the wires are, how thick the metal wire is. Or
more simply, a 12 or 15 amp secondary at 115VAC is going to be enough.

It might be tricky but you could also probably bypass the relay and
run the wires that are connected to the secondary, the switch, from
under the refrigerator to a switch or two that you control manually.
Then, after studying the wiring diagram a little more, you could run
your fridge manually for a few days, until you get the part. Get it
cold inside and if you don't open it, it will stay cold for the 9 or
10 hours you are gone during working hours. Certailnly in this
weather that's true, but even if it were hotter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

There is such a thing as a hard start relay kit. It is a generic part
and fits many units. Some relays are a little more high-tech and
can't take a subtitute. You can try Reliable in Seattle, or 1st
Source all over Texas. Both of these companies will ship to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AE Todd" wrote in message
oups.com...
There is such a thing as a hard start relay kit. It is a generic part
and fits many units. Some relays are a little more high-tech and
can't take a subtitute. You can try Reliable in Seattle, or 1st
Source all over Texas. Both of these companies will ship to you.

Another place to check is Marcone (www.marcone.com).
They appear to have maybe 9 locations in CA.

--
Herb

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.repairclinic.com/
Used these folks online been very happy with site and service. Nice
newsletter too if you sign up
wrote in message
ups.com...
My 7-year Kenmore refrigerator is not cooling any more. This is
killing me and my house food. After some investigation, I found the
problem could be fixed as easily as just replacing a small part (the
compressor Start Relay). Does anybody know where I can buy such a part
in local store of San Jose, CA. Or do you know what kind of store are
selling such parts? I am desperate and will really appreciate your
help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
My 7-year Kenmore refrigerator is not cooling any more. This is
killing me and my house food. After some investigation, I found the
problem could be fixed as easily as just replacing a small part (the
compressor Start Relay). Does anybody know where I can buy such a part
in local store of San Jose, CA. Or do you know what kind of store are
selling such parts? I am desperate and will really appreciate your
help.

Can't help you with a local store, and from my experience they never have
the part you need in stock anyway - I'd try

www.repairclinic.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Log onto www.google.com and type in "Sears parts"

First "hit" is http://www3.sears.com/

Follow the links to enter your model number. Search for the part.
Credit card, and in a couple days you have your part.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

ups.com...