Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

Default Light bulb or switch that fades out?

I like the way the interior lights in newer cars fade to off. Out of
curiosity, are those fading bulbs, or are do cars have a wired-in piece of
electronics that controls the light. I'd like to emulate that effect with
certain lights inside the house.

I've been googling around, probably using poor terms like fading light bulbs
and light switch fade. Are there products I can buy that will do this,
other than regular dimmers?

thanks,
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

It is a feature in quality touch light dimmers. When you touch them the
light ramps up to the brightness you have set, touch them again and they
ramp down to off. Check Leviton, Lutron and other quality manufacturers for
their higher end dimmers. You may not find them at a BORG but they are
available from electrical supply houses.

"k" wrote in message
. net...
I like the way the interior lights in newer cars fade to off. Out of
curiosity, are those fading bulbs, or are do cars have a wired-in piece of
electronics that controls the light. I'd like to emulate that effect with
certain lights inside the house.

I've been googling around, probably using poor terms like fading light
bulbs and light switch fade. Are there products I can buy that will do
this, other than regular dimmers?

thanks,
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 12:02 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Check out Lutron Maestro

"k" wrote in message

. net...

I like the way the interior lights in newer cars fade to off. Out of
curiosity, are those fading bulbs, or are do cars have a wired-in piece of
electronics that controls the light. I'd like to emulate that effect with
certain lights inside the house.

I've been googling around, probably using poor terms like fading light
bulbs and light switch fade. Are there products I can buy that will do
this, other than regular dimmers?

thanks,
Keith- Hide quoted text -

Another more complicated, unnecessary and possibility of failure
gadget added to modern vehicles!
If mine ever fails (although not likely cos it's Nissan) I will
promptly rewire to a straight switch.
Even now in my 70s find it takes little effort to switch something on
or off!
Recalling one of my first technical instructors who dismissed
unnecessary gadgets with "Too bloody clever by half.' And experience
has shown him to be right.
Your choice and mileage may differ however.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 20:47:44 +0000, k wrote:

I like the way the interior lights in newer cars fade to off. Out of
curiosity, are those fading bulbs, or are do cars have a wired-in piece of
electronics that controls the light. I'd like to emulate that effect with
certain lights inside the house.

I've been googling around, probably using poor terms like fading light bulbs
and light switch fade. Are there products I can buy that will do this,
other than regular dimmers?

thanks,
Keith

Electronics.
Its called 'theater dimming' typically.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 03:54:24 -0700, terry wrote:

On Apr 29, 12:02 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Check out Lutron Maestro

"k" wrote in message

. net...

I like the way the interior lights in newer cars fade to off. Out of
curiosity, are those fading bulbs, or are do cars have a wired-in piece of
electronics that controls the light. I'd like to emulate that effect with
certain lights inside the house.

I've been googling around, probably using poor terms like fading light
bulbs and light switch fade. Are there products I can buy that will do
this, other than regular dimmers?

thanks,
Keith- Hide quoted text -

Another more complicated, unnecessary and possibility of failure
gadget added to modern vehicles!

Not quite. Its a nifty feature. And since the bulbs are already powered
by a FET or other electronic driver, it saves on fusing and wire gauge and
can extend bulb life due ot soft starting. Not to mention that moving
parts wear out. Electronic drivers rarely ever do.

Singing light bulb on dimmer switch David D. Home Repair 24 May 30th 06 06:15 PM
Singing light bulb on dimmer switch mm Electronics Repair 2 May 30th 06 06:15 PM
OT - light bulb JohnM Metalworking 0 August 24th 05 07:33 PM
Bug Light Bulb---any bulb for outside use that are not yellow? Patty Amas Home Ownership 5 November 3rd 04 09:23 PM
Light Bulb Stormin Mormonn Home Repair 19 December 10th 03 03:28 AM