Posted to alt.home.repair

Default linking tank water to hot water system

Australia being in drought has meant a lot of people buying water
tanks. I recently installed a 4000 litre tank to collect roof rain
water. This filled very quickly with recent heavy rains (which fall in
our area but not in dam catchment areas) but I am doing nothing with
it at the moment. I have been thinking of different uses for the
water. Our garden uses no water so it would have to be used in the
house, but putting in special plumbing for toilet flushing, cloths
washing etc etc would be costly. But the tank is near the hot water
system (gas mains pressure) and that got me to thinking - why not
connect it to that (via on demand pressure pump)? It would then get
used in cloths washing, dish washing baths and showers with no major
plumbing changes involved. No one drinks from the hot tap so
contamination should not be a problem. Any thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Australia being in drought has meant a lot of people buying water
tanks. I recently installed a 4000 litre tank to collect roof rain
water. This filled very quickly with recent heavy rains (which fall in
our area but not in dam catchment areas) but I am doing nothing with
it at the moment. I have been thinking of different uses for the
water. Our garden uses no water so it would have to be used in the
house, but putting in special plumbing for toilet flushing, cloths
washing etc etc would be costly. But the tank is near the hot water
system (gas mains pressure) and that got me to thinking - why not
connect it to that (via on demand pressure pump)? It would then get
used in cloths washing, dish washing baths and showers with no major
plumbing changes involved. No one drinks from the hot tap so
contamination should not be a problem. Any thoughts?

Bad idea, IMHO. The hot water system is a great breeding
ground for...organisms.
And, inevitably, there is some kind of cross-connection
between your Hot and Cold supplies, whether it be in some
faucet or washing machine or even the water heater.
Additionally, in event of a sudden plunge in Mains
water pressure, the "goop" brewing in the Hot water
will be sucked into the municipal system. (I assume you
are served by some such system.) If you have cisterns
in the supply system, then this scenario at least wouldn't occur.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message

Additionally, in event of a sudden plunge in Mains
water pressure, the "goop" brewing in the Hot water
will be sucked into the municipal system. (I assume you
are served by some such system.) If you have cisterns
in the supply system, then this scenario at least wouldn't occur.

Jim

In the case of a municipal system, many now require backflow prevents to
avoid such a disaster. Rare on residential (aside from irrigations systems)
so far, they are required by code on any industrial application where water
is fed to machines, etc. They cost about $150.

You can use a bucket of water for toilet flushing, of course.