Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default 30pt vs. 45 pt dehumidifier - does it matter which I buy if I'm going to hook it up to a hose?

I'm going to by a Haier dehumidifier this weekend and I'm going to
let it drain into my sump pump. Can I get away with purchasing the
smaller less expensive 30pt model if it's going to drain automatically
or does the 30pt actually pertain to how much moisture it can remove
from the air in 24 hours. Forgive me, I know nothing about
dehumidifiers and haven't found too many authoritative sites on the
web.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, on
27 Apr 2007 14:05:34 -0700, Joe wrote:

I'm going to by a Haier dehumidifier this weekend and I'm going to
let it drain into my sump pump. Can I get away with purchasing the
smaller less expensive 30pt model if it's going to drain automatically
or does the 30pt actually pertain to how much moisture it can remove
from the air in 24 hours.

It's the latter - buy the biggest one you can afford.

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 27, 4:05 pm, Joe wrote:
I'm going to by a Haier dehumidifier this weekend and I'm going to
let it drain into my sump pump. Can I get away with purchasing the
smaller less expensive 30pt model if it's going to drain automatically
or does the 30pt actually pertain to how much moisture it can remove
from the air in 24 hours. Forgive me, I know nothing about
dehumidifiers and haven't found too many authoritative sites on the
web.

Check the nameplate current ratings. if they are the same, the smaller
reservoir unit will work just as well connecte to a sump. If the
current draw is larger on the other model it will be a better choice
because it will produce more condensate. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 4:05 pm, Joe wrote:
I'm going to by a Haier dehumidifier this weekend and I'm going to
let it drain into my sump pump. Can I get away with purchasing the
smaller less expensive 30pt model if it's going to drain automatically
or does the 30pt actually pertain to how much moisture it can remove
from the air in 24 hours. Forgive me, I know nothing about
dehumidifiers and haven't found too many authoritative sites on the
web.

It is the moisture per day. The smaller one may work but will run longer to
remove the same amount of moisture, up the the maximum per day. If you are
removing 20 pints per day, either one will have the capacity.

A second factor is the fan. The larger one should have a bit more air
circulation thus making the room a bit more even.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 9:55 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
On Apr 27, 4:05 pm, Joe wrote:
I'm going to by a Haier dehumidifier this weekend and I'm going to
let it drain into my sump pump. Can I get away with purchasing the
smaller less expensive 30pt model if it's going to drain automatically
or does the 30pt actually pertain to how much moisture it can remove
from the air in 24 hours. Forgive me, I know nothing about
dehumidifiers and haven't found too many authoritative sites on the
web.

It is the moisture per day. The smaller one may work but will run longer to
remove the same amount of moisture, up the the maximum per day. If you are
removing 20 pints per day, either one will have the capacity.

A second factor is the fan. The larger one should have a bit more air
circulation thus making the room a bit more even.

For my 600sq ft basement that is tight and dry a 65pt is to big it
cycles often which increases unit wear. You really want the smallest
unit for the job so it cycles less, but basement size, dampness and
air infiltration need to be figured in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

For my 600sq ft basement that is tight and dry a 65pt is to big it
cycles often which increases unit wear. You really want the smallest
unit for the job so it cycles less, but basement size, dampness and
air infiltration need to be figured in.

Exactly. Humidifiers are essentially airconditioners that leave the air the same
temp. They use electricity to run the copmpressor and when you cycle the
compressor you use the most electricity. They are the most efficient when they
run the longest while still keeping up with the humidity in the air.

It can take weeks to suck out the moisture that's built up in the furnishings,
walls and flooring...

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars