Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rotten T-111 exterior paneling

Rotten T-111 exterior paneling

Hi guys:

I have a house in Austin TX with old exterior paneling (1980's). Most of it
I can repair with bondo except an area near the backdoor underneath and
awning.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how I could go about repairing this area
short of taking all the siding off and starting new?

http://www.safaricabs.com/t111rot.jpg

Here is another picture of the conduit that gets in the way and the window
ledge.

http://www.safaricabs.com/t111rot(2).jpg

I'd like to fix it as cheap as possible. The other side was repaired by
someone else like this:

http://www.safaricabs.com/t111fixed.jpg

This would be fine but I don't know exactly how they removed the old siding
and replaced it with the new.

Thanks

Jim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jthread wrote:
Rotten T-111 exterior paneling

Hi guys:

I have a house in Austin TX with old exterior paneling (1980's). Most of it
I can repair with bondo except an area near the backdoor underneath and
awning.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how I could go about repairing this area
short of taking all the siding off and starting new?

http://www.safaricabs.com/t111rot.jpg

Here is another picture of the conduit that gets in the way and the window
ledge.

http://www.safaricabs.com/t111rot(2).jpg

I'd like to fix it as cheap as possible. The other side was repaired by
someone else like this:

http://www.safaricabs.com/t111fixed.jpg

This would be fine but I don't know exactly how they removed the old siding
and replaced it with the new.

First of all, that is Reverse board and batten, not T-111.
Next, you could replace just a section of the panel that is
damaged. Cut it at the edge of the groove and just replace
the section that is damaged. Use Z flashing at the horizontal
junction of the old and new.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jthread" wrote in message
news
Rotten T-111 exterior paneling

(snip)

This would be fine but I don't know exactly how they removed the old
siding and replaced it with the new.

It's just glorified plywood, and cheap enough that it isn't a major problem
if you screw up a couple of times till it looks right. The previous patch
work looks like they just sawed it off with a skilsaw, stuck some Z-flashing
up under the cut end, and scabbed in new panels. Shame on them for not
lining up the kerfs. Yes, the surface outlets and conduit will be a pain,
but if you undo the clamps and tug a bit, they will probably flex enough to
slide new wood behind them. You will have to pull the door trim, and
probably that outlet because of the ears. The rot occured because the bottom
edge probably wasn't sealed, and was jammed right against the concrete
foundation lip, rather than hanging over it Along with patching the siding,
you also wanna poke at the sill plate and joist ends to make sure they
didn't pick up any rot. Or is it a slab house? In that case, they F'd up by
not running a course of block to set the walls on. Walls should NEVER sit
right on the slab. I see no evidence of any flashing under the bottom of the
siding.

If the entire house has the siding jammed right down on the concrete like
that, as soon as you patch one spot, another will fail. Entire house needs
the bottom foot of siding cut off, proper flashing added, and then patch
back with a strip of hardiplank or something. That may or may not be cheaper
than a complete residing job, since piecing in requires better carpenter
skills than tearing off and replacing. Don't just side over it all- buried
rot keeps rotting.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"jthread" wrote in message
news
[...]

That's too bad. It is a slab house (I think) It has a concrete foundation.

Thanks for the advice.

T-111 Again PanHandler Home Repair 0 September 16th 06 12:17 AM
T-111 PanHandler Home Repair 9 June 4th 06 05:45 PM
Repairing rotten exterior basement window sill blueman Home Repair 1 November 24th 05 12:33 PM
Rotten exterior door threshold Childfree Scott Home Repair 9 November 16th 04 10:10 PM