Posted to alt.home.repair

Default kenmore miser 10 gas hot water tank

For some reason the past 2 weeks our pilot light keeps going out,,we light it
back up and the sometime later its out again,,we end up lighting 5-6 times a
day,any suggestions on what it could be????
Kenmore Miser 10... 50 Gal Gas Hot Water Tank

thanks
Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

"hezf316" u33542@uwe wrote in message news:71054b8241548@uwe...
For some reason the past 2 weeks our pilot light keeps going out,,we light
it
back up and the sometime later its out again,,we end up lighting 5-6 times
day,any suggestions on what it could be????
Kenmore Miser 10... 50 Gal Gas Hot Water Tank

thanks
Larry

1) Thermocouple not in the pilot light flame or 2) defective thermocouple
would probably be the 1st things to check.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 2:39?am, "Dan" wrote:
"hezf316" u33542@uwe wrote in messagenews:71054b8241548@uwe...
For some reason the past 2 weeks our pilot light keeps going out,,we light
it
back up and the sometime later its out again,,we end up lighting 5-6 times
day,any suggestions on what it could be????
Kenmore Miser 10... 50 Gal Gas Hot Water Tank

thanks
Larry

1) Thermocouple not in the pilot light flame or 2) defective thermocouple
would probably be the 1st things to check.

Dan

replace thermocouple, clean burner area.

how old is the tank?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

snip
i just
reaplace the thermocouple yesterday and cleaned the burner area still no help,
,keeps going out...

Did you adust the pilot flame for size and proper impingement on the
thermocouple? There is an adjusting screw on the gas valve for pilot
flame size. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 11:11?am, "hezf316 via HomeKB.com" u33542@uwe wrote:
wrote:
For some reason the past 2 weeks our pilot light keeps going out,,we light
it

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]

Dan

replace thermocouple, clean burner area.

how old is the tank?

I think the tank is 17 years old it says oct 1990 in red on it,.. i just
reaplace the thermocouple yesterday and cleaned the burner area still no help,
,keeps going out...

control valves do fail, at 17 years just replace the tank. you got
more than your moneys worth. mark the install date on the tank
somewhere

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:11:35 GMT, "hezf316 via HomeKB.com"
u33542@uwe wrote:

wrote:
For some reason the past 2 weeks our pilot light keeps going out,,we light
it

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]

Dan

replace thermocouple, clean burner area.

how old is the tank?

I think the tank is 17 years old it says oct 1990 in red on it,.. i just
reaplace the thermocouple yesterday and cleaned the burner area still no help,
,keeps going out...

Go to your local hardware store and buy a new one. They have guys
that will install it cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

deke wrote:
For some reason the past 2 weeks our pilot light keeps going out,,we light
it

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
reaplace the thermocouple yesterday and cleaned the burner area still no help,
,keeps going out...

Go to your local hardware store and buy a new one. They have guys
that will install it cheap.

I havent got My moneys worth i just bought the house less than a year ago,,
and i would go out and buy a new one but right now im out on disabilty from
work.the house inspector said it was in great shape and it should last me
another 5 years i guess he was wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

hezf316 wrote:
For some reason the past 2 weeks our pilot light keeps going out,,we light
it

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]

how old is the tank?

I think the tank is 17 years old it says oct 1990 in red on it,.. i just
reaplace the thermocouple yesterday and cleaned the burner area still no help,
,keeps going out...

I dont know where the gas valve is to adjust anything,,the flame right know
goes about a 1/2" over the burner is that good?