Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFI receptacle not functioning?

GFI receptacle
I thought that if one receptacle on a breaker was GFI that covered all
the other receptacles on that run/breaker? On two occasions, I
experienced the breaker tripping when moisture caused a short in the
run at another location.
thanks tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 9:29 am, wrote:
GFI receptacle
I thought that if one receptacle on a breaker was GFI that covered all
the other receptacles on that run/breaker? On two occasions, I
experienced the breaker tripping when moisture caused a short in the
run at another location.
thanks tom

It does provided:

1) The GFCI works.
2) The GFCI is wired properly. Downstream receptacles should be
connected to the "Load" Terminals.
3) The GFCI is the first receptacle in the run.

I'd start my checks at number one and work down.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

In addition to what Eric said: GFCI outlets are not circuit breakers. They
trip on ground faults, not overloads
wrote in message
oups.com...
GFI receptacle
I thought that if one receptacle on a breaker was GFI that covered all
the other receptacles on that run/breaker? On two occasions, I
experienced the breaker tripping when moisture caused a short in the
run at another location.
thanks tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 8:02 pm, "Eric9822" wrote:
On Apr 16, 9:29 am, wrote:

GFI receptacle
I thought that if one receptacle on a breaker was GFI that covered all
the other receptacles on that run/breaker? On two occasions, I
experienced the breaker tripping when moisture caused a short in the
run at another location.
thanks tom

It does provided:

1) The GFCI works.
2) The GFCI is wired properly. Downstream receptacles should be
connected to the "Load" Terminals.
3) The GFCI is the first receptacle in the run.

I'd start my checks at number one and work down.

Agree completely. The only time our garage GFI outlet has 'tripped'
has been when an outside outlet correctly wired as a downstream to the
GFI has got wet (Outside wall buried in melting snow!).
Suggest the OP check that the GFI is wired correctly as recommended
above.
BTW I had one older style GFI that was not arranged for 'wiring
through' to downstream outlets. I therefore replaced the first one on
that run with a suitable GFI and in order not to waste it relegated
the older style GFI to a metal box for single, use on the end of an
extension cord that needed repair. Provides a portable GFI outlet no
matter where I plug the extension cord in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 12:29 pm, wrote:
GFI receptacle
I thought that if one receptacle on a breaker was GFI that covered all
the other receptacles on that run/breaker? On two occasions, I
experienced the breaker tripping when moisture caused a short in the
run at another location.
thanks tom

stop and read:
http://www.codecheck.com/gfci_principal.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. The answer is that the GFI is not down stream of the
shorted wire.