DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   GFI receptacle not functioning? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/198154-gfi-receptacle-not-functioning.html)

[email protected] April 16th 07 05:29 PM

GFI receptacle not functioning?

GFI receptacle
I thought that if one receptacle on a breaker was GFI that covered all
the other receptacles on that run/breaker? On two occasions, I
experienced the breaker tripping when moisture caused a short in the
run at another location.
thanks tom

John McGaw April 16th 07 05:44 PM

wrote:
GFI receptacle
I thought that if one receptacle on a breaker was GFI that covered all
the other receptacles on that run/breaker? On two occasions, I
experienced the breaker tripping when moisture caused a short in the
run at another location.
thanks tom

It all depends on how the wiring was done. If the downstream receptacles
are wired to the "LOAD" terminal on the GFCI then they are protected,
otherwise they are not.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Eric9822 April 16th 07 06:02 PM

On Apr 16, 9:29 am, wrote:
GFI receptacle
I thought that if one receptacle on a breaker was GFI that covered all
the other receptacles on that run/breaker? On two occasions, I
experienced the breaker tripping when moisture caused a short in the
run at another location.
thanks tom

It does provided:

1) The GFCI works.
2) The GFCI is wired properly. Downstream receptacles should be
connected to the "Load" Terminals.
3) The GFCI is the first receptacle in the run.

I'd start my checks at number one and work down.

RBM April 16th 07 09:41 PM

GFI receptacle not functioning?

In addition to what Eric said: GFCI outlets are not circuit breakers. They
trip on ground faults, not overloads
oups.com...

terry April 16th 07 09:47 PM

On Apr 16, 8:02 pm, "Eric9822" wrote:
On Apr 16, 9:29 am, wrote:

GFI receptacle
I thought that if one receptacle on a breaker was GFI that covered all
the other receptacles on that run/breaker? On two occasions, I
experienced the breaker tripping when moisture caused a short in the
run at another location.
thanks tom

It does provided:

1) The GFCI works.
2) The GFCI is wired properly. Downstream receptacles should be
connected to the "Load" Terminals.
3) The GFCI is the first receptacle in the run.

I'd start my checks at number one and work down.

Agree completely. The only time our garage GFI outlet has 'tripped'
has been when an outside outlet correctly wired as a downstream to the
GFI has got wet (Outside wall buried in melting snow!).
Suggest the OP check that the GFI is wired correctly as recommended
above.
BTW I had one older style GFI that was not arranged for 'wiring
through' to downstream outlets. I therefore replaced the first one on
that run with a suitable GFI and in order not to waste it relegated
the older style GFI to a metal box for single, use on the end of an
extension cord that needed repair. Provides a portable GFI outlet no
matter where I plug the extension cord in.

mm April 17th 07 01:47 AM

On 16 Apr 2007 09:29:21 -0700, wrote:

GFI receptacle
I thought that if one receptacle on a breaker was GFI that covered all
the other receptacles on that run/breaker? On two occasions, I
experienced the breaker tripping when moisture caused a short in the
run at another location.
thanks tom

So what's your point? Did you want the GFI NOT to trip then?

Jeffry Wisnia April 17th 07 05:04 AM

wrote:
GFI receptacle
I thought that if one receptacle on a breaker was GFI that covered all
the other receptacles on that run/breaker? On two occasions, I
experienced the breaker tripping when moisture caused a short in the
run at another location.
thanks tom

Let me see if I correctly understand what you wrote.

I take it as your saying that you have a circuit fed by a panel breaker
which has a GFI receptical on it and the "load" side of that receptical
feeds other outlets.

Then you say "the breaker tripping". I take that to be the panel breaker.

That could happen if the moisture created short occured between the hot
and neutral leads downstream of the GFI, without any leakage to grount,
but I'm having a hard time believing that could occur.

So which was it, did the panel breaker trip or the GFI?

Jeff

buffalobill April 17th 07 11:41 AM

On Apr 16, 12:29 pm, wrote:
GFI receptacle
I thought that if one receptacle on a breaker was GFI that covered all
the other receptacles on that run/breaker? On two occasions, I
experienced the breaker tripping when moisture caused a short in the
run at another location.
thanks tom

stop and read:
http://www.codecheck.com/gfci_principal.htm

[email protected] April 18th 07 02:39 PM

GFI receptacle not functioning?

Thanks. The answer is that the GFI is not down stream of the
shorted wire.