Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Low water pressure from water softener

My water pressure drops through the water softener. Can this be due to
the resin bed. Can it be repaired?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy Petro" inquired:

My water pressure drops through the water softener. Can this be due to the
resin bed. Can it be repaired?

Yes, it very well could be. Have you been maintaining by regular cleaning?
Have you tried cleaning it to see if that helped?

There is also some sort of nozzle in some models that need cleaning, but I
don't know if that would affect the presure coming out of the softner during
water usage. A clogged resin bed will though.

If it can no longer be cleaned some models are resin replaceable, not sure
about cost effectiveness though.

A couple of questions though - How old is the unit, and do you have any type
of water filter installed prior to the softner?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:03:34 -0400, "Andy Petro"
wrote:

My water pressure drops through the water softener. Can this be due to
the resin bed. Can it be repaired?

If it's only the dynamic pressure (flow rate) that's affected,
Put another pressure tank downstream of the softener.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My water pressure drops through the water softener. Can this be due to
the resin bed. Can it be repaired?

Usefulness of the resin can be 7-15 years. Hard water will affect the
time line. "Resin" is a pretty much one standard for softeners. Buy
it, based on needs. Not expensive to replace, but messy. I've picked
out my NEW softener. They wear out after 7-10 years or there about's.

Do you have multi-headed shower jets (surround shower heads)? The WS
reduction of pressure is related for an under-sized softener.

The softener NEEDS to be sized for the household. If this is DIY, did
you calculate this?

--
Oren