Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Silverfish

They're ba-a-a-a-a-a-ck! We've been without these things since
November. They reappeared a couple weeks ago when we had a warm
spell, so I'm assuming that they're coming from the attic - probably
through the recessed lights above the whirlpool that they seem to
favor. I've got a couple pounds of boric acid for this purpose, but
how do I get it into their space? I'd like to avoid climbing up into
the attic, particularly because I'm afraid of my reaction if I lift
the insulation and suddenly see a million of them scurrying for
cover. They're harmless, but in large numbers, they're really,
really creepy!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Hartigan" wrote

They're ba-a-a-a-a-a-ck! We've been without these things since
November. They reappeared a couple weeks ago when we had a warm
spell, so I'm assuming that they're coming from the attic - probably
through the recessed lights above the whirlpool that they seem to
favor.

Silverfish love a moist environment. I knew that much so I googled
and this site has some interesting information. For one thing it says
to put the bait in the light fixture. I guess it would be easy enough to
get into there.

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/silverfish.htm

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Mike Hartigan wrote:
They're ba-a-a-a-a-a-ck! We've been without these things since
November. They reappeared a couple weeks ago when we had a warm
spell, so I'm assuming that they're coming from the attic - probably
through the recessed lights above the whirlpool that they seem to
favor. I've got a couple pounds of boric acid for this purpose, but
how do I get it into their space? I'd like to avoid climbing up into
the attic, particularly because I'm afraid of my reaction if I lift
the insulation and suddenly see a million of them scurrying for
cover. They're harmless, but in large numbers, they're really,
really creepy!

You won't be able to properly apply the BA dust evenly in the attic.
There is a boric acid bait from Dekko that is easy to use and would be
able to place where needed. Also placing a Prozap Pest Strip in the
attic above the main area of activity works wonders.

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Hartigan" wrote in message
.net...
They're ba-a-a-a-a-a-ck! We've been without these things since
November. They reappeared a couple weeks ago when we had a warm
spell, so I'm assuming that they're coming from the attic - probably
through the recessed lights above the whirlpool that they seem to
favor. I've got a couple pounds of boric acid for this purpose, but
how do I get it into their space? I'd like to avoid climbing up into
the attic, particularly because I'm afraid of my reaction if I lift
the insulation and suddenly see a million of them scurrying for
cover. They're harmless, but in large numbers, they're really,
really creepy!

Isn't large number of silverfish an indication of old or rotted wood? I
would go up the attic and poke around for termite infestation, dry or wet
rot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

** Frank ** wrote:
[...]

Not necessarily... could be old wooden shingles (well technically that
would be the old part) covered by composition or the paper on the back
of insulation that is giving them a bounty to feed on.

Lar

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 06:32:30 -0500, Mike Hartigan
wrote:

They're ba-a-a-a-a-a-ck! We've been without these things since
November. They reappeared a couple weeks ago when we had a warm
spell, so I'm assuming that they're coming from the attic - probably
through the recessed lights above the whirlpool that they seem to
favor. I've got a couple pounds of boric acid for this purpose, but
how do I get it into their space? I'd like to avoid climbing up into
the attic, particularly because I'm afraid of my reaction if I lift
the insulation and suddenly see a million of them scurrying for
cover. They're harmless, but in large numbers, they're really,
really creepy!

They have to work to get their food, if you find you have many, cut
off their food supply. So, I've been told.

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike,
Where are you? I'm in upstate NY and have had silverfish ALL winter long!
They are creepy, even if only one. They look leftover from the prehistoric
age. Someone suggested bait traps to put in the attic. I'm going to try
that. I hate any bug in my house. Do you ever see them in the basement?
C in NY
wrote:

They're ba-a-a-a-a-a-ck! We've been without these things since
November. They reappeared a couple weeks ago when we had a warm
spell, so I'm assuming that they're coming from the attic - probably
through the recessed lights above the whirlpool that they seem to
favor. I've got a couple pounds of boric acid for this purpose, but
how do I get it into their space? I'd like to avoid climbing up into
the attic, particularly because I'm afraid of my reaction if I lift
the insulation and suddenly see a million of them scurrying for
cover. They're harmless, but in large numbers, they're really,
really creepy!

They have to work to get their food, if you find you have many, cut
off their food supply. So, I've been told.

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

They're ba-a-a-a-a-a-ck! We've been without these things since
November. They reappeared a couple weeks ago when we had a warm
spell, so I'm assuming that they're coming from the attic - probably
through the recessed lights above the whirlpool that they seem to
favor. I've got a couple pounds of boric acid for this purpose, but
how do I get it into their space? I'd like to avoid climbing up into
the attic, particularly because I'm afraid of my reaction if I lift
the insulation and suddenly see a million of them scurrying for
cover. They're harmless, but in large numbers, they're really,
really creepy!

They have to work to get their food, if you find you have many, cut
off their food supply. So, I've been told.

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Once silverfish make their way to the attic it will be nearly
impossible to get rid of them. They have plenty of food, a nice
insulation blanket to keep them warm and protect them from chemical
attack , and can reproduce faster than you can kill them.

I spotted some silverfish in my second floor bedroom a couple years
ago. Turns out that the source of these bugs were from the outside. A
small opening in the sill plate allowed them to enter into the
basement. There it seems they followed the electrical conduit drill
openings upward and exited out the baseboard on the second floor.
Plugging the opening in the basement stopped them. I believe that the
silverfish were living in the wood mulch around the house. I also
believe that they might have come in the mulch bags I bought earlier
that month. It is also probably not a good idea to store mulch bags in
the garage before using them. Store them outside.

If you can't kill them all, you have to contain them. Its a dirty job,
but go to the attic and find every hole that allow them to get into
your living quarters. Conduit drill outs seem to be especially good
pathways for them. Fill these openings with caulk, foam, or just
fiberglass insulation. You can also, in addition, sprinkle boric acid
powder around these openings.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Edge wrote:

If you can't kill them all, you have to contain them. Its a dirty job,
but go to the attic and find every hole that allow them to get into
your living quarters. Conduit drill outs seem to be especially good
pathways for them. Fill these openings with caulk, foam, or just
fiberglass insulation. You can also, in addition, sprinkle boric acid
powder around these openings.

Impossible to seal off EVERY light fixture, especially can lighting,
electrical plates, plumbing penetrations and baseboards in the home. Gas
water heater closets will have a ventilation cut through the ceiling
into the attic itself.

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 01:02:34 GMT, "gntry" wrote:

Mike,
Where are you? I'm in upstate NY and have had silverfish ALL winter long!
They are creepy, even if only one. They look leftover from the prehistoric
age. Someone suggested bait traps to put in the attic. I'm going to try
that. I hate any bug in my house. Do you ever see them in the basement?

In NE Pa. I've not seen any in my basement, but the two upstairs
baths have had their occasional visitor.

I have a 5 year old, and if I don't vacuum often, I get every type of
creepy crawly in my house.

tom

C in NY
.. .
wrote:

They're ba-a-a-a-a-a-ck! We've been without these things since
November. They reappeared a couple weeks ago when we had a warm
spell, so I'm assuming that they're coming from the attic - probably
through the recessed lights above the whirlpool that they seem to
favor. I've got a couple pounds of boric acid for this purpose, but
how do I get it into their space? I'd like to avoid climbing up into
the attic, particularly because I'm afraid of my reaction if I lift
the insulation and suddenly see a million of them scurrying for
cover. They're harmless, but in large numbers, they're really,
really creepy!

They have to work to get their food, if you find you have many, cut
off their food supply. So, I've been told.

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Silverfish in bathroom - any advice David Smithz UK diy 4 June 22nd 06 02:54 AM
Silverfish infestation! MGT UK diy 44 April 22nd 05 03:59 PM
Silverfish Parker Jefferson Sneeihl Electronics Repair 6 March 22nd 04 11:24 PM