Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door to basement

Hi,

Is there some requirement that the garage door to the house (eg
basement) needs to be 4 inches above the garage floor? My current door
is 3inches above. Apparently this is because of some carbonmonoxide
concern. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 6:32 pm, "guruocont" wrote:
Hi,

Is there some requirement that the garage door to the house (eg
basement) needs to be 4 inches above the garage floor? My current door
is 3inches above. Apparently this is because of some carbonmonoxide
concern. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks..

I find no requirement in International Residential Code 2003 for a
change in floor level.
Floor is to slope to drain liquids to drain.
Door is to be solid core wood 1/38" thick, steel door, or 20 minute
rated door.
Wall is to be made of 1/2" gypsum board.
Ceiling between garage and habitable room above is to include 5/8"
gypsum board.

Posted to alt.home.repair

guruocont wrote:
Hi,

Is there some requirement that the garage door to the house (eg
basement) needs to be 4 inches above the garage floor? My current door
is 3inches above. Apparently this is because of some carbonmonoxide
concern. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks..

I suggest you check with your local code enforcement agency. It may
vary from place to place.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"guruocont" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

Is there some requirement that the garage door to the house (eg
basement) needs to be 4 inches above the garage floor? My current door
is 3inches above. Apparently this is because of some carbonmonoxide
concern. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks..

I don't know what the code is, but all of the garage doors that I have seen
in New Jersey lately seem to be 6" - 8" above the garage floor. I think
this is to prevent gasoline fumes, which lay low, from entering the house.