Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hardwood Stair Installation Questions

I just finished laying engneering wood oak floorings and am ready to
do stairs.

Installing steps and risers is a lot different than laying floorings.

Here is my problem: I like to install solid oak for steps. But the
depth of my steps are 11 inches and solid oak step materials with bull
nose come in either 10&1/2 or 11&1/2 inches.

Are there 12 inches or 12&1/2 inch solid oak steps?

If I can't get the wider one, I will use 3 inch strips with stair
nose.

Is there any web site showing tips on installing stair steps?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
|I just finished laying engneering wood oak floorings and am ready to
| do stairs.
|
| Installing steps and risers is a lot different than laying floorings.
|
| Here is my problem: I like to install solid oak for steps. But the
| depth of my steps are 11 inches and solid oak step materials with bull
| nose come in either 10&1/2 or 11&1/2 inches.

they come in 9 1/2 in & 11 1/2 in (never heard of a 1x11)

| Are there 12 inches or 12&1/2 inch solid oak steps?

if you glue 2 pieces together.

| If I can't get the wider one, I will use 3 inch strips with stair
| nose.

better off with 1x8 w/nosing
and 1x6 ripped to size.