Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fixing Severed House Ground Wire

Saturday, while roto-tilling a neglected area next to our house, I
accidentally severed the ground wire coming from the house to the
metal pole that's sunk down into the ground. There's more wire
running from the first pole to a second. That wire is intact, but
that's meaningless since the first section is severed. I went to
Lowe's and picked up one of the clamps shown in the lower right of
this pictu

http://www.endtimesreport.com/pictur...und_clamps.jpg

My initial thought was that I could put the two ends of the broken
cable through this and clamp them together. The hole was too big so I
flipped the lower piece to form a nested V shape and clamped the cable
together between the Vs. The two cables touch where they overlap, and
(one assumes) are also electrically connected by the clamp itself. So
I *think* the house is back to being grounded.

Eventually I'll get an electrician out to see if I can get some more
slack in that cable - I want to put a deck in that area and I can't do
it with a ground wire stretched from the house to the pole, suspended
a few inches above the ground as it is currently.

Do any of you electrical experts see this as a problem that needs to
be addressed more expertly and immediately? Anyone think it's
something I can handle myself?

-Scott