Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old or New

Having lived in my house for a year now I've gone through a tremdous amount
of work and learning to bring it up to what I consider livable and
comfortable. A year must seem like a blip on the radar for most of you all,
but for me it has been a world changing experience. I've replaced my
plumbing, re-wired circuits, painted (something you don't do in an
apartment), replaced windows, cleaned gutters, done drywalling (fairly
well), installed lighting, installed insulation, etc etc etc etc... All of
which were things I'd never done before.

Given what I've learned and how I feel about the subject now, I think if I
had to do it all over again I'd still go for an existing house rather than
buying a McMansion or buying a house that sits on a 1/8 acre plot (standard
size lot in my area). I find that I derive a great deal of satisfaction
repairing and working on an older home, rather than buying a new house and
calling out a repairman when something goes wrong.

There are some things that I simply won't touch, the panel, the water
service, a patio door. But for most everything else I really enjoy fixing
them or replacing them with something more to my liking. I hated it while
doing the work FOR THE FIRST TIME, but subsequent jobs were a joy - mostly
because of the experience of doing it the first time and being able to apply
my knowledge learned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Never lived in a second hand house. I always have my own custom
designed/built house on a lot I chose. Still after 5 times doing it,
did not get perfect one yet. Now getting too old to try one more, LOL!
One thing no trade people can bully me who has as good or better
knowledge/experience in house building/maintenance. I have a pool of
good resources as well. My family is full of engineers of various
discipline;
Civil, Mechanical, Electric, Chemical, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

glad to hear a happy story. same boat here. today i have to finish
fixing the float on my garden tarctor so I'll be able to mow my 1.5
acre plot, yet another thing you don't think about when renting.

also, stop by the local library, pick up some books on the subjects so
you CAN work on (the panel, the water
service, a patio door.) and you'll see why contractors charge so much,
why they rush things(paid by the hour!) and how to do quality work
yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 11:41�am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
[...]

you must be newly married or engaged. give it a few years and it will
be tough to get you to cut grass let alone fix mower.....

I am only half joking

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Well speaking as a mechanical engineer almost PE certified, engineers can be
the worst people to talk to about fixing things. Engineering training
emphasizes practical knowledge to back the theory, but somehow I think the
reality gets lost in the translation. Too often we don't see the
consequences of our work in action and as a result we lose practical
knowledge so that even a GED plumber or electrican can run circles around
us.

I can tell you all about fluid mechanics and why galvanized pipes suck - but
I still need a plumber to tell me what will happen when I disconnect the
pipes. Mainly because until I've done it once, I'm not willing to risk my
house testing to see how accurate the theory is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tater" wrote in message
oups.com...
glad to hear a happy story. same boat here. today i have to finish
fixing the float on my garden tarctor so I'll be able to mow my 1.5
acre plot, yet another thing you don't think about when renting.

also, stop by the local library, pick up some books on the subjects so
you CAN work on (the panel, the water
service, a patio door.) and you'll see why contractors charge so much,
why they rush things(paid by the hour!) and how to do quality work
yourself.

Oh man, last time I talked to someone about replacing my patio door the
answer I got was that it had better be level when installed or you'll be in
a world of hurt. That flashing had better be perfect, the whole thing had
better be just right or you can kiss your floor goodbye to water damage.

As for the panel, there aren't many places in the house that can kill you in
an instant of mistake, and there aren't many places that can be a source for
so many lethal hazards in the home.

It just doesn't sound like it's worth it to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I don't own a TV, so I can't turn into a couch potato. And I happen to LIKE
mowing the lawn - even if my front yard does resemble an off-road race
course. Now as for cleaning, that's what the women-folk are for, now is it
still legal to prevent them from wearing shoes?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1 Apr 2007 13:06:31 -0700, "
wrote:

you must be newly married or engaged. give it a few years and it will
be tough to get you to cut grass let alone fix mower.....

I am only half joking

A fellow I know said, he cut his grass down to the roots; shortest
possible. Why? He could go hunting and fishing.

My mower burped today, so I'm certain it needs attention.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Now as for cleaning, that's what the women-folk are for, now is it
still legal to prevent them from wearing shoes?

In my state not only can't you prevent them form wearing shoes, but you
can't even sue them for specific performance.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 14:03:56 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Now as for cleaning, that's what the women-folk are for, now is it
still legal to prevent them from wearing shoes?

In my state not only can't you prevent them form wearing shoes, but you
can't even sue them for specific performance.

Ask one to purge their shoe closet. Get back too me.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 3:06 pm, " wrote:
On Apr 1, 11:41?am, "Eigenvector" wrote:

you must be newly married or engaged. give it a few years and it will
be tough to get you to cut grass let alone fix mower.....

I thought this was aimed at me

anyway, SWMBO likes to mow lawn, says it is great exercise.

hence i bought myself a rider.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

I prefer females in Stilettoes