Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old or New

On Apr 1, 11:41�am, "Eigenvector" wrote:
Having lived in my house for a year now I've gone through a tremdous amount
of work and learning to bring it up to what I consider livable and
comfortable. *A year must seem like a blip on the radar for most of you all,
but for me it has been a world changing experience. *I've replaced my
plumbing, re-wired circuits, painted (something you don't do in an
apartment), replaced windows, cleaned gutters, done drywalling (fairly
well), installed lighting, installed insulation, etc etc etc etc... *All of
which were things I'd never done before.

Given what I've learned and how I feel about the subject now, I think if I
had to do it all over again I'd still go for an existing house rather than
buying a McMansion or buying a house that sits on a 1/8 acre plot (standard
size lot in my area). *I find that I derive a great deal of satisfaction
repairing and working on an older home, rather than buying a new house and
calling out a repairman when something goes wrong.

There are some things that I simply won't touch, the panel, the water
service, a patio door. *But for most everything else I really enjoy fixing
them or replacing them with something more to my liking. *I hated it while
doing the work FOR THE FIRST TIME, but subsequent jobs were a joy - mostly
because of the experience of doing it the first time and being able to apply
my knowledge learned.

you must be newly married or engaged. give it a few years and it will
be tough to get you to cut grass let alone fix mower.....

I am only half joking