Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pond Maintenance Question

My new homestead has a pond. I'd guess about a quarter acre and 5-6
feet deep in the center. I'm educating myself about maintenance but
am looking for wisdom from any experienced pond owners our there.

It has a fountain aerator, and at least at the end of last year did
not appear to have any major algae issues. There were a few areas of
green glop, but most of the surface was clear. It's home to the usual
frogs, turtles, some fish, a mallard couple, and is visited by the
occasional Great Blue Heron (which is awesome!)

I'm in NE Ohio. My specific question has to do with the cattails that
line part of the bank. It appears the stalks have died off over the
winter, and I wonder if it's best to cut them off at the waterline
before the new growth sprouts up. My thinking is this will avoid
adding a bunch of organic matter to the pond that might contribute to
algae.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and any other advice on pond maintenance.

Paul Franklin

(you know what to leave out)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul Franklin" wrote in message
[...]

Check with local universities and agriculture department services. Many
times they have free programs to help you do just such a thing.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul Franklin wrote:
[...]

Think duck ****, turtle ****, heron ****, fish ****, toad ****, and possibly
mastadon **** leaching up from below. There's plenty of organic matter.

But, we live in an information-rich society. "cattail + pruning" yields over
19,000 hits on Google.

Interestingly, you may need an environmental impact statement and a federal
inspection, license, and permission (which won't be granted) to fiddle with
a wetlands.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 10:38:53 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

.. .

Add to this mosquito control. Communities want to reduce the *******s.
--
Oren

"equal opportunity, not equal results"
Posted to alt.home.repair

I think a pond that size should not be very hard
to manage with your aeriator and some chemical
treatment. The volume of water is small enough to
make it cost effective.

The plant you need to avoid is Eurasian milfoil which
has messed up a lot of small lakes and ponds throughout
northeast Ohio. It responds to only one chemical,
called Sonar. It costs around $2000 a gallon.

I belong to a lake community, in Rome Ohio,
and we are going to be spending big bucks to rid ourselves of this green
*******.

Good luck

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The less matter that goes into the eco-system, the less you have to counter
balance later.

I would trim them. On my smaller yard-sized pond I also skim leaves and
stuff in the Fall.

You keep the Heron. I am not willing to let him eat my fish.