Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing my window cranks...

My window cranks are 25 years old. The most used ones are starting to fail.
Unfortunately I don't see anyway to get them out without taking the whole
window apart. They must have designed it better than that, so I think I am
just missing the trick. Anyone know?
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/crank.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Mar 30, 10:34 am, "Toller" wrote:
My window cranks are 25 years old. The most used ones are starting to fail.
Unfortunately I don't see anyway to get them out without taking the whole
window apart. They must have designed it better than that, so I think I am
just missing the trick. Anyone know?http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/crank.jpg

I've got the exact same windows in the loft above my garage, just
order the whole actuator from Andersen. you will need to R&R at least
the wood trim above the actuator, and more if required to do so.
Fortunately they are inexpensive, about $20-30 apiece IIRC. I'd lube
up the tracks well with a non-greasy lube (silicone or teflon) to keep
this from happening in the future; there's a lot of leverage on the
mechanism when the windows are opened more than 2/3 of the way.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 14:34:32 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

My window cranks are 25 years old. The most used ones are starting to fail.
Unfortunately I don't see anyway to get them out without taking the whole
window apart. They must have designed it better than that, so I think I am
just missing the trick. Anyone know?
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/crank.jpg

The cogs on the shaft look fine. Have you oiled the mechanism? 25
years is a long time without oil.

You may also need new crank handles if the handle cogs are worn. You
can test this by borrowing handles from windows that rarely get
opened.

Crank handles are not hard to get.

Advice on replacing a window Grahammazy UK diy 6 January 17th 05 07:52 AM
Replacing Window Buck Turgidson Woodworking 2 January 14th 05 10:49 PM
Any advice on replacing a window? Grahammazy UK diy 0 January 14th 05 12:37 PM
Bell cranks Tom Gardner Metalworking 3 December 16th 04 08:34 PM
replacing window panes efoley Home Repair 5 November 23rd 04 10:07 AM