Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Siding in the rain?

I hired a handyman to reside one side of my house.
He wants to come out Monday (and Tuesday if needed). Should get it done in
one day though.
He is out of town for a couple of weeks after this and we were hoping to
squeeze it in...

Now I see they are forecasting rain Monday thru Wednesday next week.
( southern Mass )

He's paid hourly so I was hoping to start pulling the siding off this
weekend to get things started...

It doesn't sound like a good idea if its going to rain...

Am I correct that we shouldn't put the Tyvek and siding on if the house is
wet????
How bad is it if I pull the siding off and then the plywood gets wet???

The area is 17' wide X 16' high.
siding is 12" x 16' MDF hardboard (crap)
the rest of the house is good just this side needs replacing.

TIA

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"comcastss news groups" wrote in message
[...]

I wouldn't want the plywood to get wet, but you'll probably get 218
conflicting opinions on this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wouldn't want the plywood to get wet, but you'll probably get 218
conflicting opinions on this.

I agree. I'm looking for opinions because My guess is the handyman is going
to want to get it done if its not poring out. His interests and Mine my
differ.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"comcastss news groups" wrote in message
et...

I wouldn't want the plywood to get wet, but you'll probably get 218
conflicting opinions on this.

I agree. I'm looking for opinions because My guess is the handyman is
going
to want to get it done if its not poring out. His interests and Mine my
differ.

Steve

Unless it's treated, painted or otherwise protected, wood's not supposed to
get wet. End of story. How many opinions do you need? I think your instinct
is correct. Schedule the work at a better time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 30, 9:20 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"comcastss news groups" wrote in messagenews:iMednboCfN8xhJDbnZ2dnUVZ_hudnZ2d@conve rsent.net...

I wouldn't want the plywood to get wet, but you'll probably get 218
conflicting opinions on this.

I agree. I'm looking for opinions because My guess is the handyman is
going
to want to get it done if its not poring out. His interests and Mine my
differ.

Steve

Unless it's treated, painted or otherwise protected, wood's not supposed to
get wet. End of story. How many opinions do you need? I think your instinct
is correct. Schedule the work at a better time.

Um well, very sorry to disagree but that is not the end of the story.
When houses are built the sheathing (plywood) is often exposed to the
elements for weeks at a time. The sheathing is exterior rated and is
designed to be exposed for a time. Those are facts.

I have seen many partially constructed houses with exposed sheathing
be unattended the whole winter. Really, it's preferable to leave the
sheathing exposed rather than the housewrap. Housewrap should be
installed just before the siding with no delay. If it is allowed to
be exposed then it can easily be ruined by the wind. Then, if water
gets underneath the wrap you can have damaged sheathing.

Bottom line: It is OK to have your sheathing exposed for a short
period of time. It is designed for such treatment. If any gets
damaged (unlikely) then replacement is easy. You don't want to apply
house wrap while it's still wet. If the OP is determined to wait for
perfect weather he may never get the job done at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lawrence" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Is the sheathing treated in some way? If not, how is it "designed" to
withstand getting wet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Um well, very sorry to disagree but that is not the end of the story.
When houses are built the sheathing (plywood) is often exposed to the
elements for weeks at a time. The sheathing is exterior rated and is
designed to be exposed for a time. Those are facts.

This is what I was wondering.
During construction the sheathing must be exposed to the weather for some
time...

I have seen many partially constructed houses with exposed sheathing
be unattended the whole winter. Really, it's preferable to leave the
sheathing exposed rather than the housewrap. Housewrap should be
installed just before the siding with no delay. If it is allowed to
be exposed then it can easily be ruined by the wind. Then, if water
gets underneath the wrap you can have damaged sheathing.

Makes sense, the wood would dry but water under the tyvek would take much
longer to dry out.

Bottom line: It is OK to have your sheathing exposed for a short
period of time. It is designed for such treatment. If any gets
damaged (unlikely) then replacement is easy. You don't want to apply
house wrap while it's still wet. If the OP is determined to wait for
perfect weather he may never get the job done at all.

is this the end of story?

Thanks

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I know that the sheathing is designed for exterior use because the
manufacturer says so. I also know from personal experience. It is not
"treated" and I never said it was.

It is ,however, very water resistant and can withstand multiple
soakings with little loss of structural value. Yes, treated wood is
used where it will be in continuous contact with moisture. That does
not mean that untreated wood is not extremely water resisistant. It
is.

It is primarily the water resistant glue that is used to make exterior
sheathing that makes it so durable. Interior stuff is use for
cabinets, furniture, and the like and uses ordinary glue. It it
totally different stuff which would never be used as structural
sheathing.

So, when you buy some plywood called CDX you know it's exterior
rated because of the X. Actually, all sheet stock used for sheathing
is exterior rated. That way, the carpenter knows that he can go ahead
and perform the task without worry. It is assumed that if the
sheathing gets wet it will eventually have a chance to dry out. Then
it is fine.

I have been on many sites where it rained and rained on half-finished
houses. Yes, it is better to work with dry wood but the wood is not
ruined, not by any stretch of the imagination, neither sheet stock or
solid wood. I have seen shacks build with X rated plwood that have
lasted for years without any further protection. Bottom line: the
stuff is durable because it has to be.

In this case, we have one wall of the house so the sheathing is
further protected by the entire house and the overhang above it. Only
a hurricane would have any chance of significantly damange this
exterior rated sheathing.
In the very unlikely case that it were damaged it can be easily
repaired. Sheathing is commonly available and simple to install.

Actually, it is far more likely that the existing sheathing is damaged
already. It is quite common for this to happen since once water gets
in it can have little way to get out. I say tear off the siding on
the first dry day so than an inspection can be made and repairs
planned. I do not find it necessary to work in the rain but it has
nothing to due with the material getting wet. It's just because I
don' like to get wet, .

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually, it is far more likely that the existing sheathing is damaged
already. It is quite common for this to happen since once water gets
in it can have little way to get out. I say tear off the siding on
the first dry day so than an inspection can be made and repairs
planned.

I like your thinking! very helpful
As this side of the house has been in bad shape for a few years there very
well could be damage to the sheathing. Sat and Sun look like good weather.
I'll pull the siding off and inspect the sheathing.
Extream damage will be obvious but whats the threshhold?
I'm guessing I'll poke around looking for soft spots?
At most the side will be exposed for 1 more week.

Thanks

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 30, 2:16 pm, "comcastss news groups" wrote:
Actually, it is far more likely that the existing sheathing is damaged
already. It is quite common for this to happen since once water gets
in it can have little way to get out. I say tear off the siding on
the first dry day so than an inspection can be made and repairs
planned.

I like your thinking! very helpful
As this side of the house has been in bad shape for a few years there very
well could be damage to the sheathing. Sat and Sun look like good weather.
I'll pull the siding off and inspect the sheathing.
Extream damage will be obvious but whats the threshhold?

In my mind it is best to fix anything suspicious while the wall is
exposed. Places where water has been getting in will be blackish in
color and maybe slimey to the touch. Poke around where the nails and
pry a bit on the edge are to see if they are still holding anthing
down. Buy more sheets than you need and try to replace full sheets
rather than just patching bad spots.

You may also find damaged insulation when you open up the wall
cavity. The ultimate decision on what to replace and how it up to the
opinion of the carpenter and the budget of the homeowner. If the
budget is there I would replace anything that's wet or has been wet
including insulation. Just be sure to get the wall cavity dried out
first.

When it is dry then put the push on to get the new insulation and
sheathing up while it is dry. I like to staple a new vapor barrier
facing the inside of the house. Use 6 mil poly and just wrap it
around the studs before putting in the new glass. When putting up the
sheathing it can be helpful to use some glue or caulk where sheets
meet. This will protect your hard work until you can get the
housewrap and siding up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"comcastss news groups" wrote in message
| Actually, it is far more likely that the existing sheathing is
damaged
| already. It is quite common for this to happen since once water
gets
| in it can have little way to get out. I say tear off the siding on
| the first dry day so than an inspection can be made and repairs
| planned.
|
| I like your thinking! very helpful
| As this side of the house has been in bad shape for a few years there
very
| well could be damage to the sheathing. Sat and Sun look like good
weather.
| I'll pull the siding off and inspect the sheathing.
| Extream damage will be obvious but whats the threshhold?
| I'm guessing I'll poke around looking for soft spots?
| At most the side will be exposed for 1 more week.
|

| Thanks
|
| Steve

just a thought
the problem I see with residing a lived in home is:
if the water gets in the wall you will have insulation and sheetrock
getting wet
which in turn will get moldy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 30, 5:05 pm, "3G" wrote:
"comcastss news groups" wrote in ...
| Actually, it is far more likely that the existing sheathing is
damaged
| already. It is quite common for this to happen since once water
gets
| in it can have little way to get out. I say tear off the siding on
| the first dry day so than an inspection can be made and repairs
| planned.
|
| I like your thinking! very helpful
| As this side of the house has been in bad shape for a few years there
very
| well could be damage to the sheathing. Sat and Sun look like good
weather.
| I'll pull the siding off and inspect the sheathing.
| Extream damage will be obvious but whats the threshhold?
| I'm guessing I'll poke around looking for soft spots?
| At most the side will be exposed for 1 more week.
|

| Thanks
|
| Steve

just a thought
the problem I see with residing a lived in home is:
if the water gets in the wall you will have insulation and sheetrock
getting wet
which in turn will get moldy.

Excellent point. Plywood won't be harmed by temporary wetness, but
how are you going to keep water from running into your windows, doors,
etc. If it was me, I'd tyveck it after demoing the siding. Make sure
you flap the tyveck over the window fins/flashing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"marson" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 30, 5:05 pm, "3G" wrote:
"comcastss news groups" wrote in
| Actually, it is far more likely that the existing sheathing is
damaged
| already. It is quite common for this to happen since once water
gets
| in it can have little way to get out. I say tear off the siding on
| the first dry day so than an inspection can be made and repairs
| planned.
|
| I like your thinking! very helpful
| As this side of the house has been in bad shape for a few years there
very
| well could be damage to the sheathing. Sat and Sun look like good
weather.
| I'll pull the siding off and inspect the sheathing.
| Extream damage will be obvious but whats the threshhold?
| I'm guessing I'll poke around looking for soft spots?
| At most the side will be exposed for 1 more week.
|

| Thanks
|
| Steve

just a thought
the problem I see with residing a lived in home is:
if the water gets in the wall you will have insulation and sheetrock
getting wet
which in turn will get moldy.

Excellent point. Plywood won't be harmed by temporary wetness, but
how are you going to keep water from running into your windows, doors,
etc. If it was me, I'd tyveck it after demoing the siding. Make sure
you flap the tyveck over the window fins/flashing.

I suppose this could be one of those jobs that could be covered with a blue
tarp until the rain stops.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Its not the rain that can degrade house wrap. I believe that house wrap can
be damaged by extended exposure to UV light.

The manufacturer can give you the exact specs but it should be covered
within like 4-6 months.

"Lawrence" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cliff Hartle" wrote in message
Its not the rain that can degrade house wrap. I believe that house wrap
can be damaged by extended exposure to UV light.

The manufacturer can give you the exact specs but it should be covered
within like 4-6 months.

"Lawrence" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The OP was looking at a one to two week window of opportunity.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair
DB DB is offline

[...]

I can pretty well gaurantee you the sheathing got wet when the house was
under construction.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DB DB is offline

"comcastss news groups" wrote in message
news
Makes sense, the wood would dry but water under the tyvek would take much
longer to dry out.

Tyvek is designed to keep water out and let water vapor pass.

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"DB" wrote in message

| "comcastss news groups" wrote in message
| I hired a handyman to reside one side of my house.
| He wants to come out Monday (and Tuesday if needed). Should get it
done in
| one day though.
| He is out of town for a couple of weeks after this and we were
hoping to
| squeeze it in...
|
| Now I see they are forecasting rain Monday thru Wednesday next week.
| ( southern Mass )
|
| He's paid hourly so I was hoping to start pulling the siding off
this
| weekend to get things started...
|

| It doesn't sound like a good idea if its going to rain...
|
| Am I correct that we shouldn't put the Tyvek and siding on if the
house is
| wet????
| How bad is it if I pull the siding off and then the plywood gets
wet???

| The area is 17' wide X 16' high.
| siding is 12" x 16' MDF hardboard (crap)
| the rest of the house is good just this side needs replacing.
|

| TIA
|

| Steve
| I can pretty well gaurantee you the sheathing got wet when the house
was
| under construction.

I will guarantee you
there was no insulation/sheetrock in the wall at the time the sheathing
got wet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

3G wrote:

"DB" wrote in message

| "comcastss news groups" wrote in message
| I hired a handyman to reside one side of my house.
| He wants to come out Monday (and Tuesday if needed). Should get it
done in
| one day though.
| He is out of town for a couple of weeks after this and we were
hoping to
| squeeze it in...
|
| Now I see they are forecasting rain Monday thru Wednesday next week.
| ( southern Mass )
|
| He's paid hourly so I was hoping to start pulling the siding off
this
| weekend to get things started...
|

| It doesn't sound like a good idea if its going to rain...
|
| Am I correct that we shouldn't put the Tyvek and siding on if the
house is
| wet????
| How bad is it if I pull the siding off and then the plywood gets
wet???

| The area is 17' wide X 16' high.
| siding is 12" x 16' MDF hardboard (crap)
| the rest of the house is good just this side needs replacing.
|

| TIA
|

| Steve
| I can pretty well gaurantee you the sheathing got wet when the house
was
| under construction.

I will guarantee you
there was no insulation/sheetrock in the wall at the time the sheathing
got wet.

I wouldn't bet on that.

That's why the drywall mfrs have come out with new paperless
"mold-resistant" drywall - their trade ads say it can be exposed to the
elements up to 3 months!

So you know contractors have been leaving it exposed all along.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 3:17 pm, "Bob (but not THAT Bob)"
wrote:
3G wrote:

"DB" wrote in message

| "comcastss news groups" wrote in message
| I hired a handyman to reside one side of my house.
| He wants to come out Monday (and Tuesday if needed). Should get it
done in
| one day though.
| He is out of town for a couple of weeks after this and we were
hoping to
| squeeze it in...
|
| Now I see they are forecasting rain Monday thru Wednesday next week.
| ( southern Mass )
|
| He's paid hourly so I was hoping to start pulling the siding off
this
| weekend to get things started...
|

| It doesn't sound like a good idea if its going to rain...
|
| Am I correct that we shouldn't put the Tyvek and siding on if the
house is
| wet????
| How bad is it if I pull the siding off and then the plywood gets
wet???

| The area is 17' wide X 16' high.
| siding is 12" x 16' MDF hardboard (crap)
| the rest of the house is good just this side needs replacing.
|

| TIA
|

| Steve
| I can pretty well gaurantee you the sheathing got wet when the house
was
| under construction.

I will guarantee you
there was no insulation/sheetrock in the wall at the time the sheathing
got wet.

I wouldn't bet on that.

That's why the drywall mfrs have come out with new paperless
"mold-resistant" drywall - their trade ads say it can be exposed to the
elements up to 3 months!

So you know contractors have been leaving it exposed all along.- Hide quoted text -

True but that is why mold issues are running wild with new
construction. Yet the builders are so confused as to why? The Tyvek is
the barrier for moisture. As long as this is intact you should be
fine. or if the rain is light. If the heavy rains get through to the
plywood- the walls will be affected along this wall- soaking the
insulation and interior drywall. Then there is a concern for mold
growing later on.

www.moldshield.org

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to comcastss news groups, Solangge wrote:
Hello.. Did you find out about it. I am concerned about this too, guys came
in yesterday and pulled out the sidings.. its a long weekend , they wont come
back till Tueaday and its raining

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...in-703456-.htm