Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drain water in home

hi
What is the correct procedure to drain water from house. I need to
get water out of my water hammer arrestors. The home has a gas water
heater.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 9:14 am, "david" wrote:
hi
What is the correct procedure to drain water from house. I need to
get water out of my water hammer arrestors. The home has a gas water
heater.

Thanks

Turn off the water to the entire house. First open up the faucet at
the highest point. This may be upstairs or it may be the kitchen
faucet. Then open up the lowest faucet. This may be the outside
spigot. You can't expect to remove every drop but for sure will
remove enough to work on the plumbing.

I do not believe there is water in your hammer arrestor or that it
would need to be removed if there were. The arrestor is a passive
device designed to take up sudden surges in water pressure. Did
someone tell you that you have that problem or did you figure that out
by yourself?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Turn off the water to the entire house. First open up the faucet at
the highest point. This may be upstairs or it may be the kitchen
faucet. Then open up the lowest faucet. This may be the outside
spigot. You can't expect to remove every drop but for sure will
remove enough to work on the plumbing.

I do not believe there is water in your hammer arrestor or that it
would need to be removed if there were. The arrestor is a passive
device designed to take up sudden surges in water pressure. Did
someone tell you that you have that problem or did you figure that out
by yourself?

If there's water in the water-hammer arrestors, they
stop working. Also, they may not drain when you drain
the pipes, depending on whether they're bought devices
with bladders in them (in which case, they're either
not waterlogged, or they need to be replaced), or
built up little vertical stubs with bleeder valves
at the top. In the latter case, drain the pipes
from the lowest fixture available, and open the valves
in the arrestors.