Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is this wire worth anything? 8-3 Aluminum 70 feet

I have about 70 feet of 8 AWG Aluminum wire. I believe it's 8-3,
there are two sheathed conductors and then one bare one. It was being
used for an electric stove that was on a double pole 40A breaker.

I'm thinking this wire is worth something. Anyone have a guess as to
how much?

Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 11:51 pm, " wrote:
I have about 70 feet of 8 AWG Aluminum wire. I believe it's 8-3,
there are two sheathed conductors and then one bare one. It was being
used for an electric stove that was on a double pole 40A breaker.

I'm thinking this wire is worth something. Anyone have a guess as to
how much?

Kevin

~30 to 90 cents per pound, stripped, depending where you are and how
much of a crook you're dealing with... You might get more $ for it
intact from someone needing it but the trick is finding them
Everyone is paranoid about aluminum wiring even though it's a better
conductor than copper. Phone a local scrap yard for a price (before
you strip it) as some prefer to strip their own.

Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

Everyone is paranoid about aluminum wiring even though it's a better
conductor than copper.

Perhaps it is a better conductor, but its heat properties are no where
near as good as copper. It also gets very brittle and cracks. Trying
to make connections after a couple years gets very difficult.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 6:23 am, "gerdman" wrote:
On Mar 28, 11:51 pm, " wrote:

I have about 70 feet of 8 AWG Aluminum wire. I believe it's 8-3,
there are two sheathed conductors and then one bare one. It was being
used for an electric stove that was on a double pole 40A breaker.

I'm thinking this wire is worth something. Anyone have a guess as to
how much?

Kevin

~30 to 90 cents per pound, stripped, depending where you are and how
much of a crook you're dealing with... You might get more $ for it
intact from someone needing it but the trick is finding them
Everyone is paranoid about aluminum wiring even though it's a better
conductor than copper. Phone a local scrap yard for a price (before
you strip it) as some prefer to strip their own.

Gary

Copper is a much better conducter than aluminum.
Al has about 64% the conductivity of copper.

Silver 63.01 × 10^6
Copper 59.6 × 10^6
Annealed Copper 58.0 × 10^6
Aluminum 37.8 × 10^6

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gerdman" wrote in message
ups.com...

Everyone is paranoid about aluminum wiring even though it's a better
conductor than copper. Gary

Not so!
That's why for the same ampacity, aluminum is called out at larger sizes
than copper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 9:21 am, "bill allemann"
wrote:
"gerdman" wrote in message

ups.com...

Everyone is paranoid about aluminum wiring even though it's a better
conductor than copper. Gary

Not so!
That's why for the same ampacity, aluminum is called out at larger sizes
than copper.

Oops, my bad lol. Aluminum is roughly double the conductivity by
WEIGHT. Hence why it is used for overhead transmission lines.

Thanks for the correction Bill

Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

Guess I'll put it up on Craig's List for $70 ($1 per foot) and see if
anybody wants it.