Posted to alt.home.repair

Default question on slanted floor

I placed a bid on a garden style condominium that is 2 floors. My
unit would be on the second floor. The living room floor is a little
slanted. There is of course a unit below me.
Does anyone know what could possibly have happened. The condo was
built in 1984.
Is there something I should do? thankyou for any info.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ben Ben is offline

Even if you bring in a qualified home inspector he is not likely to be
able to tell you 1) The absolute reason for the slant and 2) Whether
or not it is safe.

He will probably refer you to a qualified structural engineer which is
what you would need here. I heard firsthand a story of a family who
bought a house with a slanted floor in one room because a structural
engineer gave it a clean bill of health and they have had no further
issues.

A slant can be caused by a sinking foundation which would be your
worst case scenario.

Even if a structural engineer says it's okay I would personally be
concerned about resale value. Something like that can make people keep
on looking.

Good luck.
-ben

On Mar 23, 11:00 am, wrote:
I placed a bid on a garden style condominium that is 2 floors. My
unit would be on the second floor. The living room floor is a little
slanted. There is of course a unit below me.
Does anyone know what could possibly have happened. The condo was
built in 1984.
Is there something I should do? thankyou for any info.

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"Ben" wrote in message
ups.com...
| Even if you bring in a qualified home inspector he is not likely to be
| able to tell you 1) The absolute reason for the slant and 2) Whether
| or not it is safe.
|
| He will probably refer you to a qualified structural engineer which is
| what you would need here. I heard firsthand a story of a family who
| bought a house with a slanted floor in one room because a structural
| engineer gave it a clean bill of health and they have had no further
| issues.
|
| A slant can be caused by a sinking foundation which would be your
| worst case scenario.

correction
worse case scenerio
termites ........................

best case scenerio
regular lumber rotted on concrete.

to the OP
look in the basement and see if is slanted there.
work your way up from floor to floor to see where it starts slanting.

| Even if a structural engineer says it's okay I would personally be
| concerned about resale value. Something like that can make people keep
| on looking.
|
| Good luck.
| -ben
|
| On Mar 23, 11:00 am, wrote:
| I placed a bid on a garden style condominium that is 2 floors. My
| unit would be on the second floor. The living room floor is a
little
| slanted. There is of course a unit below me.
| Does anyone know what could possibly have happened. The condo was
| built in 1984.
| Is there something I should do? thankyou for any info.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 23, 7:23 pm, Norminn wrote:
wrote:
I placed a bid on a garden style condominium that is 2 floors. My
unit would be on the secondfloor. The living roomflooris a little
slanted. There is of course a unit below me.
Does anyone know what could possibly have happened. The condo was
built in 1984.
Is there something I should do? thankyou for any info.

How much and where is the slant? Off 1/2" one side to the other, or
sinking 3" in the middle? How, in relation to load-bearing walls?
Anotherfloorabove? Wood frame construction? Masonry walls?

I am going with an architect today (a friend) to look at the place.
There is another unit smaller one came on the market
today in the same complex asking for $20,000 more than what I paid
for. There's is 1080 sq ft 2 bedroom by 2 bath.
mine is 3 bedroom 2 bath and its 1380 sq ft. I don't know what to do
at this point. the home inspector saw this place and
said that there is a slant on top of the two stairs that go into the
loft. Thats it, nothing about the living room.
My friend will bring a leveler to look into the slant. regards Roger

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

That would be worderful if he could bring a leveler.

He'll probably just bring a level.

Good luck.- Hide quoted text -

It looks like the floor is OK. I will proceed to buy the condo. The
architect checked out the place with a level and it looks OK. Thanks
for you advise.