Posted to alt.home.repair
Ben Ben is offline

Default question on slanted floor

Even if you bring in a qualified home inspector he is not likely to be
able to tell you 1) The absolute reason for the slant and 2) Whether
or not it is safe.

He will probably refer you to a qualified structural engineer which is
what you would need here. I heard firsthand a story of a family who
bought a house with a slanted floor in one room because a structural
engineer gave it a clean bill of health and they have had no further
issues.

A slant can be caused by a sinking foundation which would be your
worst case scenario.

Even if a structural engineer says it's okay I would personally be
concerned about resale value. Something like that can make people keep
on looking.

Good luck.
-ben

On Mar 23, 11:00 am, wrote:
I placed a bid on a garden style condominium that is 2 floors. My
unit would be on the second floor. The living room floor is a little
slanted. There is of course a unit below me.
Does anyone know what could possibly have happened. The condo was
built in 1984.
Is there something I should do? thankyou for any info.