Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3-2 prong adapter vs New power outlet Help

I had a quick question for anyone who might be able to help. I
currently live in a 50's converted house that is now an apartment
complex. I recently bought a power backup for my computer and upon
reading the manual saw that it says not to hook it up to a 3-to-2
prong adapter like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1077629420291

this is rather disheartening because that is all there is in my
apartment. I was wondering what the dangers of doing so are because
the unit says both the wiring and ground are good (it has self
checks). Should I replace the outlet? if so with what?

Thanks,

Andrew

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If the outlet box is indeed grounded, just change the receptacle with a
grounding type

wrote in message
oups.com...
I had a quick question for anyone who might be able to help. I
currently live in a 50's converted house that is now an apartment
complex. I recently bought a power backup for my computer and upon
reading the manual saw that it says not to hook it up to a 3-to-2
prong adapter like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1077629420291

this is rather disheartening because that is all there is in my
apartment. I was wondering what the dangers of doing so are because
the unit says both the wiring and ground are good (it has self
checks). Should I replace the outlet? if so with what?

Thanks,

Andrew

Posted to alt.home.repair

What would the easiest way to tell that it is grounded be? While the
unit says it is grounded properly I am not entirely sure I just bought
this:
http://www.aemc.com/products/html/mi...bname=products
will it be reliable enough to tell?

Thanks

On Mar 22, 3:46 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
If the outlet box is indeed grounded, just change the receptacle with a
grounding type

oups.com...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ype=product&pr...

this is rather disheartening because that is all there is in my
apartment. I was wondering what the dangers of doing so are because
the unit says both the wiring and ground are good (it has self
checks). Should I replace the outlet? if so with what?

Thanks,

Andrew

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

That would indicate it's grounded. There's probably no reason not to use the
grounding adapter since you've verified you do have a ground

wrote in message
ups.com...
What would the easiest way to tell that it is grounded be? While the
unit says it is grounded properly I am not entirely sure I just bought
this:
http://www.aemc.com/products/html/mi...bname=products
will it be reliable enough to tell?

Thanks

On Mar 22, 3:46 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
If the outlet box is indeed grounded, just change the receptacle with a
grounding type

oups.com...