Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What looks better?

I am refinishing my kitchen cabinets. What looks better (richer, glamorous,
expensive, sophisticated etc.): Volatile lacquer, water-based lacquer,
oil-based polyurethane or water based polyurethane?

Sounds silly, but, with all the work involved I want to get the most bang
for my labors.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 1:36 pm, "Walter R." wrote:
I am refinishing my kitchen cabinets. What looks better (richer, glamorous,
expensive, sophisticated etc.): Volatile lacquer, water-based lacquer,
oil-based polyurethane or water based polyurethane?

Sounds silly, but, with all the work involved I want to get the most bang
for my labors.

--
Walterwww.rationality.net
-

Pratt & Lambert #38 Satin Varnish

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
I am refinishing my kitchen cabinets. What looks better (richer, glamorous,
expensive, sophisticated etc.): Volatile lacquer, water-based lacquer,
oil-based polyurethane or water based polyurethane?

Sounds silly, but, with all the work involved I want to get the most bang
for my labors.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Silly boy. Ask your wife-- whatever she thinks is the way to go...

Posted to alt.home.repair

you could essentially get the same results with each if done the proper way.
I'd go with the water based poly. cause of ease of application. it would
probably take about 7 thin coats to get a rich glossy consistent finish.
don't forget sealer

"Walter R." wrote in message
I am refinishing my kitchen cabinets. What looks better (richer, glamorous,
expensive, sophisticated etc.): Volatile lacquer, water-based lacquer,
oil-based polyurethane or water based polyurethane?

Sounds silly, but, with all the work involved I want to get the most bang
for my labors.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:44:05 -0400, "Fast Edddie" ed@poolhall wrote:

"Walter R." wrote in message
.. .
I am refinishing my kitchen cabinets. What looks better (richer, glamorous,
expensive, sophisticated etc.): Volatile lacquer, water-based lacquer,
oil-based polyurethane or water based polyurethane?

Sounds silly, but, with all the work involved I want to get the most bang
for my labors.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Silly boy. Ask your wife-- whatever she thinks is the way to go...

Very good advice. Have pieces of simular scrape wood and do costing
tests. Since I've been married, I've not had to think for myself ever
again.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"longshot" wrote in message
| you could essentially get the same results with each if done the
proper way.
| I'd go with the water based poly. cause of ease of application. it
would
| probably take about 7 thin coats to get a rich glossy consistent
finish.
| don't forget sealer

holy crap
8 coats
what are you finishing...............a boat?

a good finish only requires 3 coats
a hand rubbed "urethane gel" works better than laquer or poly..
that is what we use in restaurant kitchens.

| "Walter R." wrote in message
| I am refinishing my kitchen cabinets. What looks better (richer,
glamorous,
| expensive, sophisticated etc.): Volatile lacquer, water-based
lacquer,
| oil-based polyurethane or water based polyurethane?
|
| Sounds silly, but, with all the work involved I want to get the most
bang
| for my labors.
|
| --
| Walter
| www.rationality.net
| -

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
I am refinishing my kitchen cabinets. What looks better (richer, glamorous,
expensive, sophisticated etc.): Volatile lacquer, water-based lacquer,
oil-based polyurethane or water based polyurethane?

Sounds silly, but, with all the work involved I want to get the most bang
for my labors.

If you haven't done any refinishing, it might be better to go with
finishes a bit more forgiving than others, or to try out the most likely
candidates. Gloss finish more likely to show flaws like brush marks and
messy fingerprints. Oil based semi-gloss varnish (IMO) looks less
"plastic" than poly. If it goes on thick, thin it down per label instr.
as much as possible to get it to flow into wood grain. It gives a more
natural rich wood finish than other products I've tried. What kind of
wood? Are you stripping old finish?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote:

I am refinishing my kitchen cabinets. What looks better (richer, glamorous,
expensive, sophisticated etc.): Volatile lacquer, water-based lacquer,
oil-based polyurethane or water based polyurethane?

Sounds silly, but, with all the work involved I want to get the most bang
for my labors.

I agree with 'ask your wife'. And if she's not sure- follow
this advice;

A million years ago I was having some brick work done. The mason
asked how I wanted the mortar joints to look and showed me three
choices. I asked if there was any difference other than esthetics
and was assured there wasn't. So I got SWMBO to get her opinion.
Her question was. . . "How would they have done it in a colonial
house?" [we liked to think we were 'decorating' more or less on a
colonial theme]

The mason never blinked-- 'Back in colonial times, ma'am, the mason
would show the lady of the house a few different choices and she'd
pick one.' So that's what we did-- just like they did in colonial
days. [as far as the mason knew, anyway]

Nobody but you knows what 'looks good' to you. Nor does anyone know
what your labor / cash / esthetics ratios are. [I prefer hand rubbed
lacquer, myself-- but my cabinets have polyurethane on them. Some
things aren't worth the money or sweat.]

Jim