Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default What looks better?

Walter R. wrote:
I am refinishing my kitchen cabinets. What looks better (richer, glamorous,
expensive, sophisticated etc.): Volatile lacquer, water-based lacquer,
oil-based polyurethane or water based polyurethane?

Sounds silly, but, with all the work involved I want to get the most bang
for my labors.

If you haven't done any refinishing, it might be better to go with
finishes a bit more forgiving than others, or to try out the most likely
candidates. Gloss finish more likely to show flaws like brush marks and
messy fingerprints. Oil based semi-gloss varnish (IMO) looks less
"plastic" than poly. If it goes on thick, thin it down per label instr.
as much as possible to get it to flow into wood grain. It gives a more
natural rich wood finish than other products I've tried. What kind of
wood? Are you stripping old finish?