Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cieling Fan...Up or Down? For heat removal

Got this new ceiling fan .. need to know should it SUCK UP or BLOW
DOWN for removal of heat in a room?

Considering we're going into the hot season??

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've run mine DOWN for 23 years, all year around. I've never seen them
remove heat though. I just don't see the benefit of the fan when it is
running in the UP mode.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:
www.lightsout.org

"Bob Brown" . wrote in message
Got this new ceiling fan .. need to know should it SUCK UP or BLOW
DOWN for removal of heat in a room?

Considering we're going into the hot season??

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob Brown" . wrote in message
Got this new ceiling fan .. need to know should it SUCK UP or BLOW
DOWN for removal of heat in a room?

Considering we're going into the hot season??

Window fan blowing out. Ceiling fans just move air, they won't get rid of
heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob Brown" . wrote in message
Got this new ceiling fan .. need to know should it SUCK UP or BLOW
DOWN for removal of heat in a room?

Considering we're going into the hot season??

thanks

Doesn't remove heat from the room but by blowing downward during hot season,
the additional movement of air over your exposed skin will cause quicker
evaporation of your perspiration and thus cooling of the skin. In the
Winter, blowing upward will somewhat force the warmer air that accumulates
at the ceiling outward and downward to the level at which you live. You
wouldn't want the fan blowing directly down on you, then, as the additional
evaporation would chill you.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 03:31:43 GMT, "Tom G"
wrote:

"Bob Brown" . wrote in message
.. .
Got this new ceiling fan .. need to know should it SUCK UP or BLOW
DOWN for removal of heat in a room?

Considering we're going into the hot season??

thanks

Doesn't remove heat from the room but by blowing downward during hot season,
the additional movement of air over your exposed skin will cause quicker
evaporation of your perspiration and thus cooling of the skin. In the
Winter, blowing upward will somewhat force the warmer air that accumulates
at the ceiling outward and downward to the level at which you live. You
wouldn't want the fan blowing directly down on you, then, as the additional
evaporation would chill you.

I have a digital therm and noticed that even thought I FEEL about 10F
cooler , the room has actually increased about 0.5-1F ??

Blowing down btw.

wtf?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:58:46 -0600, CJT wrote:

Bob Brown wrote:
Got this new ceiling fan .. need to know should it SUCK UP or BLOW
DOWN for removal of heat in a room?

Considering we're going into the hot season??

thanks

ceiling fans don't remove heat -- they add it

their purpose is to provide circulation

I guess it did add heat because the digi-therm shows nearly 1.0F
increase and the fan is blowing DOWN?
Yet my body feels about 10F cooler.

Didn't help the computer temps which is one I had hoped since the air
flow has now increased.

Nothing I try works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess it did add heat because the digi-therm shows nearly 1.0F
increase and the fan is blowing DOWN?

Heat rises. Heat that normally lived near and in the ceiling is now
being circulated through the room. Also, the fan motor dissipates a
few watts as heat though the effect is probably minimal.

Didn't help the computer temps which is one I had hoped since the air
flow has now increased.

I'm assuming you've already blown all of the dust out of your
computer, particularly the CPU and power supply. Next step is to add
or replace the case fan (separate fan below the power supply or on the
front of the case), or add a "slot cooler" or blower that occupies one
of the PCI expansion slots in the back of your machine. Shouldn't set
you back more than $20. You don't need a fancy lighted turbo-speed
L337 overclocker's fan, a simple generic one is fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try each on a separate day, and see what works.

Window AC, I find they cool better if you point a fan towards the
AC. Not sure why, but it works better than having the fan blow
out from the AC.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:
: Considering we're going into the hot season??
:
: thanks
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

They just add airflow, which keeps you cool but not the computer.

The bigger the blades, the more energy-efficient it is. What you
want is to move lots of air very slowly, not a little air very fast,
for energy considerations.

For cooling, I blow air from the basement floor through a flexible
duct onto my computer chair, on the hottest days. The resulting
heating of the basement floor keeps the house warm then through
November.

I threw out the heat pump in 1978, when it became apparent it was
chiefly a sink for repair dollars, and went to fans.

I think it has to be a hobby, though. A woman isn't likely to put
up with it.

--
Ron Hardin