Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What size cieling fan for 10'x12' room?

Does it matter what size cieling fan I choose? I see there seem to be
more 52" fans than 44" or 48". Would a smaller fan be as effective in
this small room? Thanks.

Oh, Hampton Bay or Hunter?

Posted to alt.home.repair
The Reverend Natural Light

Diameter is mostly personal preference. There's more selection in 52".

I installed Hunter fans in my last place and was very satisfied - they
were perfectly balanced out of the box and silent. This time I used 4
Hampton Bay 52" fans and they all wobble and make noise. Balance
doesn't help - the blades are all uneven on the vertical plane. The
one over my bed will slam back and forth in it's mount if I set it on
high. That, and it took the first two units to figure out how to slide
the blades into the snap-in holders without gouging the veneer. The
Hunter fans are harder to assemble but don't self destruct in the
process like the Hampton Bay fans.

-rev

wrote:
Does it matter what size cieling fan I choose? I see there seem to be
more 52" fans than 44" or 48". Would a smaller fan be as effective in
this small room? Thanks.

Oh, Hampton Bay or Hunter?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:
Diameter is mostly personal preference. There's more selection in 52".

I installed Hunter fans in my last place and was very satisfied - they
were perfectly balanced out of the box and silent. This time I used 4
Hampton Bay 52" fans and they all wobble and make noise. Balance
doesn't help - the blades are all uneven on the vertical plane. The
one over my bed will slam back and forth in it's mount if I set it on
high. That, and it took the first two units to figure out how to slide
the blades into the snap-in holders without gouging the veneer. The
Hunter fans are harder to assemble but don't self destruct in the
process like the Hampton Bay fans.

Yeah. I bought the house with the fans in, but same deal. The Hunter
has only a minor wobble at high speed, and it's on the end of a long
rod. No problem. The other brands wobble like crazy at high, on a short
rod, to the point where they are truly frightening. I tried the
balancing kits, but as soon as you eliminate one wobble you get another
one. I just don't use them on high any more.

-rev

wrote:
Does it matter what size cieling fan I choose? I see there seem to be
more 52" fans than 44" or 48". Would a smaller fan be as effective in
this small room? Thanks.

Oh, Hampton Bay or Hunter?

Posted to alt.home.repair
larry

This time I used 4
Hampton Bay 52" fans and they all wobble and make noise. Balance
doesn't help - the blades are all uneven on the vertical plane. The
one over my bed will slam back and forth in it's mount if I set it on
high.

I spent several hours trying to "balance" a ceiling fan with
taped on pennies only to find the problem changed with motor
speed. I then realized it was not a blade weight or length
problem. The problem was very simple - PITCH of the blades
was different.

I used a small light bulb (point light source) a few feet
away and above the blades. I hand rotated the blades
looking for the same reflection pattern on each blade.
Three were identical but the fourth was out of line, I
carefully bent that blade arm until the reflection matched
the other three. Fan has run true ever since, no wabble on
low or even high speed. Only took 10 minutes to fix.

pitch is the angle of "twist" from the leading edge of a
blade to it's trailing edge, at its end. The two edges
could be measured from the ceiling, or use a protractor with
a level. I wasn't going to waste another hour looking for
those tools when the light was at hand ;-)

-larry / dallas

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

z wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot, depending on how high your ceiling is, the further
you dangle the fan down the better, until you scalp yourself. Making
the air turn a tight corner between the fan and the ceiling puts a
crimp in the circulation.

A ceiling fan won't have any wobble, nor problems with air circulation,
if it's mounted on the ceiling. In colder climates, during the heating
season, circulating the warm air at the ceiling down to where people
actually live is preferable - the higher the fan, the better.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss

On 6 Jun 2006 10:42:16 -0700, wrote:

Does it matter what size cieling fan I choose? I see there seem to be
more 52" fans than 44" or 48". Would a smaller fan be as effective in
this small room? Thanks.

This page suggests blade size and how far down to have it:
http://www.casablancafanco.com/servi.../faq.html#size

Oh, Hampton Bay or Hunter?

Casablanca fans are really nice. But rather expensive.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

New Boiler = Room Stat = Part 'P' & Part 'L' question (long) . UK diy 52 January 6th 06 10:13 AM
prog. therm. and heat pump questions Abby Normal Home Repair 119 December 22nd 05 12:38 PM
Excerpt: Room for Improvement Jane Smith Home Repair 1 October 3rd 05 10:22 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
HWCH : Thermostat for one room Frank Z UK diy 3 July 31st 03 11:19 AM