Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer heater elementstays on

I just replaced my thermal cutoff switch and thermostat. Now when I
plug the dryer into the wall outlet my heater element comes on. What
is cauing this to happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:42:04 -0700, slick wrote:

I just replaced my thermal cutoff switch and thermostat. Now when I
plug the dryer into the wall outlet my heater element comes on. What
is cauing this to happen.

it comes on even with the dryer off?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 9:02 pm, "dnoyeB" wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:42:04 -0700, slick wrote:
I just replaced my thermal cutoff switch and thermostat. Now when I
plug the dryer into the wall outlet my heater element comes on. What
is cauing this to happen.

it comes on even with the dryer off?

yes, I don't have to push the power button

Posted to alt.home.repair

The most common reason for an element energizing while the machine is
off is that the element wire is shorted to a nearby metal ground.
Sometimes it is the element wire itself that has bent toward the
ground, and other times it is a piece of debris that has gotten in
there that connects the wire to ground. And if you want to know the
most common item of debris that can do this, it would be the underwire
of a bra. Anyhow, you'll need to get access to the element to check
it out. In theory, you can just bend back the element wire, or remove
the debris, but it is probably better to replace the element itself.

By the way, a grounded element would explain why you had to replace
the thermal fuse. An experienced appliance tech always checks this
one issue when replacing a thermal fuse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 20:15:21 -0700, slick wrote:

On Mar 19, 9:02 pm, "dnoyeB" wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:42:04 -0700, slick wrote:
I just replaced my thermal cutoff switch and thermostat. Now when I
plug the dryer into the wall outlet my heater element comes on. What
is cauing this to happen.

it comes on even with the dryer off?

yes, I don't have to push the power button

Then either you installed it in the wrong place, or there is a broken
switch somewhere. this should not happen without the door being closed
and the motor running causing the cage to tumble.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 9:02 pm, "dnoyeB" wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:42:04 -0700, slick wrote:
I just replaced my thermal cutoff switch and thermostat. Now when I
plug the dryer into the wall outlet my heater element comes on. What
is causing this to happen.

it comes on even with the dryer off?

yes, I don't have to push the power button

Then either you installed it in the wrong place, or there is a broken
switch somewhere. this should not happen without the door being closed
and the motor running causing the cage to tumble.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx,
Sounds like the previous suggestions are by knowledgeable/skilled
people.

Also if you are lucky there is often a circuit diagram on the back
plate of the dryer this will help you analyze how and where is the
fault that is causing the heater to be 'on' all the time; rather than
when the timer has been set and the motor running.

A further suggestion; our very old Kenmore has an extra set of
contacts inside the motor itself; the idea being that they do not
close the heater circuit unless the motor is turning. In our case
those contacts went 'open' and we had to replace them.

But if they had fused together (short circuited) the heater in our
model would have been 'On' all the time!

These contacts are completely separate from the motor 'start' and
running circuit itself.

Well done fixing it btw. Far too many appliances are dumped/scrapped
for lack of reasonable repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

All dryers run the heat circuit through the motor. That way, it won't
heat unless the motor is running. It is not common to have a motor-
related heating problem. The most common reason to have an element
that heats while the motor is not running is shorting to ground, as I
previously mentioned.