Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smoke Fire Alarm Chirping Question ?

Hello:

This is really crazy, but I thought someone might have some information or
thoughts on the following.

Live in a typical colonial in New England.

Have a Kidde ionization smoke fire alarm on the ceiling upstairs, and a
First Alert one on the ceiling downstairs.

Both have new batteries, and both units are fairly new.

Carbon Monoxide detectors in house read zero.

Every day, or at times every two days or so, each unit will give 4 chirps,
and that's all until another day or so passes.

Not the normal alarm mode as if it would be sensing a fire, or the low
battery indicator signal.

Just 4 chirps, then nothing again for 24-48 hours.

Called both manufacturers, and both don't have any thoughts on.

Both are doing it, so it's hard to believe both units from different mfg's
are defective. But, perhaps ?
Also, nothing in instruction manuals, or by talking with customer reps at
mfg's that knows anything about a 4-chirp signal.

No correlation with anything that I can determine: kitchen not in use,
sometimes AM, sometimes PM.
Gas furnace may be on, or may be off.
Can't imagine what might be doing this.

Any thoughts on would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Robert11" wrote:
[...]

Mocking birds?

Sorry to make fun. It's truly bizarre. Are the two units
interconnected? They probably shouldn't be since they're
different brands.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

I actually saw this with on of my smoke detectors. Identical symptoms to
yours. took it apart and watched a spider crawl out of the thing. THis was
25 years ago. I don't even know if its possible anymore

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:50:04 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

[...]

I would re-seat the batteries. If inter-connected check wires.
If on a breaker for "smokies" - reset the breaker...

Just thoughts.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
BZ BZ is offline

Robert11 wrote:

Any thoughts on would be most appreciated.

When you replaced the batteries, you didn't just switch 'em, didja? ;-)

Try brand new batteries again. It's the easiest possibility to
test/eliminate, so I'd go with that first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mocking birds typically have a three note pattern rather than two.

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:18:37 GMT, (Malcolm Hoar)
wrote:

Mocking birds?

faulty smoke alarm nigmyk UK diy 9 April 12th 06 08:00 AM
Anyone link a fire alarm to the fire department WITHOUT going through a 3rd party? dean Home Repair 12 September 16th 05 08:11 PM
Smoke/Fire alarm question [email protected] UK diy 25 May 16th 05 10:21 PM
smoke alarm question oreo123 Home Repair 9 March 13th 05 08:36 PM