Posted to alt.home.repair

Default countertop/desk conversion

My Sis upgraded Her countertops to manufactured marble.I took one of
the old ones(L-shaped) to wall mount in a nook off the end of a
closet..It is sitting in place on the 2x2s but one side of the 33"
wide x 73" long "wing" is floating and not very sturdy,,so I need to
brace that edge with something that is unobtrusive to a user in an
office chair,,I do'nt think dropping a vertical leg is a good
option..large shelf bracket/s are the only good option I can think of
that allows for movement of a persons legs and gives support..
The 2x2s are hidden under the 30" high top but pose a problem for
the proposed brackets as they will have to be modified with a notch to
accomodate the 2x2..
The entire area of this conversion desk is 33" x 73" = 16.7 sq
ft,,then ad the small leg of the L-shape at 18" x 25" = 3.1 sq ft wich
totals 19.8 sq ft of desktop,,it is heavy on its' own and was tough to
set by Myself..I also took a 14" wide top that I cut down to fit the
51" opening between the exterior wall and the endwall of the
closet,,this adds 4.9 sq ft of shelf space and will be set just high
enough to allow for a monitor to slide back into the corner..It is'nt
a perfect setup but should suffice and if need be when gaming will
hold 2 PCs..
I need to get the final brace/s on before anything can destroy what
I've done so far,,looks are a concern but strength and function are
primary,,any thoughts?
Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17 Mar 2007 10:03:20 -0700, "Dean" wrote:

[...]

My thoughts are that you could have finished the job in the time it
took you to write that paragraph.

Good luck and post some pictures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 4:39 pm, Deke wrote:
[...]

Good luck and post some pictures.- Hide quoted text -

LOL,,yeah Yer probably right but I've seen many replies that want
more info and complain about OPs with "vague" posts,,I guess I overdid
it.
I'm considering 45degree pipe brackets and a piece of painted pvc
pipe for the large n long portion of desktop unless I find a large
shelf bracket that matches what I find for the higher 14" wide
shelf..Looks are'nt paramount but I want it decent at least and
strong..
Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 18, 12:32 pm, "Dean" wrote:

snip

I'm considering 45degree pipe brackets and a piece of painted pvc
pipe for the large n long portion of desktop unless I find a large
shelf bracket that matches what I find for the higher 14" wide
shelf..Looks are'nt paramount but I want it decent at least and
strong..
Dean

Check out the heavy duty shelf brackets at Rockler.com, like # 99433.
With these you can evem sit on the shelf if you anchor it properly to
the wall studs. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 18, 1:51 pm, "Joe" wrote:
On Mar 18, 12:32 pm, "Dean" wrote:

snip

I'm considering 45degree pipe brackets and a piece of painted pvc
pipe for the large n long portion of desktop unless I find a large
shelf bracket that matches what I find for the higher 14" wide
shelf..Looks are'nt paramount but I want it decent at least and
strong..
Dean

Check out the heavy duty shelf brackets at Rockler.com, like # 99433.
With these you can evem sit on the shelf if you anchor it properly to
the wall studs. HTH

Joe

Hey thanks man,,I saved the page just in case..
Dean

desk Tim Taylor Woodworking 9 August 10th 06 01:54 AM
Countertop drilling B A R R Y Woodworking 6 May 19th 06 06:21 PM
tile countertop cj Home Repair 4 April 19th 06 09:04 PM
Granite Countertop MG Home Repair 7 September 13th 05 09:59 PM
new granite countertop Honkey Kong Home Repair 3 February 29th 04 07:23 PM