Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DryLock to "paint" outside of foundation?

I'm getting my house re-sided, and some of the foundation will still be visible
at the bottom. It was painted the last time the house was painted, now it's a
different color (pink against the sand-colored siding.. not great looking).

I had planned to wash, prime and paint it, masking off the siding and using a
sprayer. But it was suggested that I just brush it with Dry-Lock after washing
it.

That idea appeals to me - the grey DryLock color would be fine. Is it a good
idea?

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 1:56�pm, Banty wrote:
I'm getting my house re-sided, and some of the foundation will still be visible
at the bottom. *It was painted the last time the house was painted, now it's a
different color (pink against the sand-colored siding.. not great looking).

I had planned to wash, prime and paint it, masking off the siding and using a
sprayer. *But it was suggested that I just brush it with Dry-Lock after washing
it.

That idea appeals to me - the grey DryLock color would be fine. *Is it a good
idea?

Banty

brush gives much better adhesion, since it washes the old and new
paint together. sounds good to me

Posted to alt.home.repair

Drylock will cost a lot more and be more difficult to apply than
paint, with little additional benefit. It might not even adhere
properly since the wall is already painted. It is, however, very
thick and smooths out the look of rough block. If you use it, apply
the first coat with a brush and the second coat with a roller.

The water based dryloc is white. It would need to be tinted gray.

-rev

On Mar 15, 2:56 pm, Banty wrote:
I'm getting my house re-sided, and some of the foundation will still be visible
at the bottom. It was painted the last time the house was painted, now it's a
different color (pink against the sand-colored siding.. not great looking).

I had planned to wash, prime and paint it, masking off the siding and using a
sprayer. But it was suggested that I just brush it with Dry-Lock after washing
it.

That idea appeals to me - the grey DryLock color would be fine. Is it a good
idea?

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's always best to remove all previous finishes before using any type
of waterproofing paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 10:15 am, wrote:
It's always best to remove all previous finishes before using any type
of waterproofing paint.

I'd also check if the Drylock product is even rated for exterior
application. AFAIK, it's used for interior basement wall
applications. The properties a paint needs for exterior use, exposure
to UV, weathering, etc, is different than those of interior paint.
And as has been pointed out, being thick, it's a bitch to apply. I
fail to see the point in wanting to use it for that application.