Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Outlets Progressively Loosing Power?

If these are the original outlets, I would go around the whole house
replacing them with a good quality recepticals. The originals may have been
wired with the back-stab method, don't use this method again, clamp the
wires down with the side screws. It takes longer but is much more reliable.
The appliances you mentioned are all large draw items, and would result in
any bad connections getting worse.

If this doesn't help, you may have to go around to all the junction boxes,
mostly behind light fixtures, to check for bad connections, as well as your
fuse/breaker panel connections.

"Elliot T. Hill" wrote in message
. ..
My home, built in 1970 has several outlets (some GFI, some not) that seem
to loose power over time.
My wife's blow dryer used to work in all outlets, then quit working in
some of them.
Her curling iron will work in outlets that the blow dryer will not. I
have had appliances that do the same thing in my home office (same home).
An appliance will work in one outlet, then quit, I plug it into another
outlet, it works, but may eventually quit, try another and so on.
Once any given appliance quits working in an outlet, it never works again
(in that outlet). The home has copper wiring.

Thanks for any ideas or advice.