Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whole house fan

I'm looking for a QUIET fan to ventilate my cabin through a vertical
wall in a loft area. It needs to move about 3-4000 cu. ft./min.
Needs to fit in 26 inch opening. I currently have gable fans that are
so noisy they can't be used. A belt driven fan would be preferable
from what I've been able to read on the net. Does anybody in this
group have any suggestions or experience that would help?

I have used those that mount horizontally in the ceiling of the first
floor and blow air into the attic. They work great, but it is my
understanding that these cannot be mounted vertically.

Thanks,
Harry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hebintn" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for a QUIET fan to ventilate my cabin through a vertical
wall in a loft area. It needs to move about 3-4000 cu. ft./min.
Needs to fit in 26 inch opening. I currently have gable fans that are
so noisy they can't be used. A belt driven fan would be preferable
from what I've been able to read on the net. Does anybody in this
group have any suggestions or experience that would help?

I have used those that mount horizontally in the ceiling of the first
floor and blow air into the attic. They work great, but it is my
understanding that these cannot be mounted vertically.

Start with www.mcmaster.com They carry many types and sizes. That's a
lot of air for a cabin!

Posted to alt.home.repair

From my admittedly limited experience with these types of fans, you are
moving quite a bit of air through a moderately sized opening, and regardless
of the type of drive, you are going to get quite a bit of "air" noise from
the fan blade itself. The easy fix in most cases is a larger, slower moving
fan, but that won't help you ...

- Magnusfarce

"hebintn" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for a QUIET fan to ventilate my cabin through a vertical
wall in a loft area. It needs to move about 3-4000 cu. ft./min.
Needs to fit in 26 inch opening. I currently have gable fans that are
so noisy they can't be used. A belt driven fan would be preferable
from what I've been able to read on the net. Does anybody in this
group have any suggestions or experience that would help?

I have used those that mount horizontally in the ceiling of the first
floor and blow air into the attic. They work great, but it is my
understanding that these cannot be mounted vertically.

Thanks,
Harry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 13, 10:52 pm, "hebintn" wrote:
I'm looking for a QUIET fan to ventilate my cabin through a vertical
wall in a loft area. It needs to move about 3-4000 cu. ft./min.
Needs to fit in 26 inch opening. I currently have gable fans that are
so noisy they can't be used. A belt driven fan would be preferable
from what I've been able to read on the net. Does anybody in this
group have any suggestions or experience that would help?

I have used those that mount horizontally in the ceiling of the first
floor and blow air into the attic. They work great, but it is my
understanding that these cannot be mounted vertically.

Thanks,
Harry

i would look at
www.grainger.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hebintn" wrote:

I'm looking for a QUIET fan to ventilate my cabin through a vertical
wall in a loft area. It needs to move about 3-4000 cu. ft./min...

I like Lasko's 2155A $55 16" window fan. It moves 2470 cfm with 90 watts
at full speed, fairly quietly. It's reversible, and it has a thermostat.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

The 4000 cfm is based on reco at http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...fattfan2a.shtm.
If my calculations are correct the cabin is about 12,000 cubic feet.
(4000 cfm sounds like a lot to me also.) I'll check out the mcmaster
link and the Lasco suggestions for sure. Thanks to all for your
input.

Harry

On Mar 13, 10:58 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"hebintn" wrote in message

oups.com...

I'm looking for a QUIET fan to ventilate my cabin through a vertical
wall in a loft area. It needs to move about 3-4000 cu. ft./min.
Needs to fit in 26 inch opening. I currently have gable fans that are
so noisy they can't be used. A belt driven fan would be preferable
from what I've been able to read on the net. Does anybody in this
group have any suggestions or experience that would help?

I have used those that mount horizontally in the ceiling of the first
floor and blow air into the attic. They work great, but it is my
understanding that these cannot be mounted vertically.

Start withwww.mcmaster.com They carry many types and sizes. That's a
lot of air for a cabin!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 1:43 pm, "buffalobill" wrote:
On Mar 13, 10:52 pm, "hebintn" wrote:

I'm looking for a QUIET fan to ventilate my cabin through a vertical
wall in a loft area. It needs to move about 3-4000 cu. ft./min.
Needs to fit in 26 inch opening. I currently have gable fans that are
so noisy they can't be used. A belt driven fan would be preferable
from what I've been able to read on the net. Does anybody in this
group have any suggestions or experience that would help?

I have used those that mount horizontally in the ceiling of the first
floor and blow air into the attic. They work great, but it is my
understanding that these cannot be mounted vertically.

Thanks,
Harry

i would look atwww.grainger.com

The Grainger 3C614 should do the trick.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...mId=1611631501
Don't even have to do any wiring - just plug it in. It's a bit pricy
for a "window fan" but if it will move enough air to cool the house
without having to use A/C it's money well spent. My only question is
on noise. Guess there is only one way to find out, unless someone out
there has experience with this model.

Thanks again folks.

Harry

Posted to alt.home.repair

hebintn wrote:

The Grainger 3C614 should do the trick.

This delivers more air (3560 cfm at 170 watts), but it's less efficient
than their 4TM66 (2470 cfm at 90 watts), which is Lasko's "industrial"
version of the 2155A, so it's probably noisier too.

Nick