Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old concrete foundation flaking away to nothing

I have an old 1910 house in Portland OR and the foundation wall is
starting to crumble away. I need to recoat it, i had a professional
come and give me an estimate but i am wondering if this is something
that can be done easily by me.

What are good resources or suggestions you might have. I need to keep
moisture away too. Should i just hire the professional and not get
involved if i have never done this before. The house is not big, but i
could see this being a lot of work.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:46:19 -0700, meisai wrote:

I have an old 1910 house in Portland OR and the foundation wall is
starting to crumble away. I need to recoat it, i had a professional
come and give me an estimate but i am wondering if this is something
that can be done easily by me.

What are good resources or suggestions you might have. I need to keep
moisture away too. Should i just hire the professional and not get
involved if i have never done this before. The house is not big, but i
could see this being a lot of work.

Thanks

My driveway is doing the same thing. Never saw this kind of thing before.
My house is 4 years old...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 5:44�am, "dnoyeB" wrote:
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:46:19 -0700, meisai wrote:
I have an old 1910 house in Portland OR and the foundation wall is
starting to crumble away. I need to recoat it, i had a professional
come and give me an estimate but i am wondering if this is something
that can be done easily by me.

What are good resources or suggestions you might have. I need to keep
moisture away too. Should i just hire the professional and not get
involved if i have never done this before. The house is not big, but i
could see this being a lot of work.

Thanks

My driveway is doing the same thing. *Never saw this kind of thing before.
*My house is 4 years old...

moisture is the enemy, for the driveway pressure wash let dry for
days, coat with thompsons water seal, literally dump and broom on.
very heavy let it soak in. it will darken the concrete but stop water
infiltration. recoat using much less thompsons oil based every few
years.

hows the drainage around the home? gutter clogged spilling over?
downspout water well away from home, hows the grade, towards home

Coating of the interior of the foundation will do NOTHING but trap
more moisture calling more spalling...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 7:30 am, " wrote:
On Mar 12, 5:44?am, "dnoyeB" wrote:

[...]

M.F,,.CT(),RT
HG,S D. H T?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 1:46 am, "meisai" wrote:
I have an old 1910 house in Portland OR and the foundation wall is
starting to crumble away. I need to recoat it, i had a professional
come and give me an estimate but i am wondering if this is something
that can be done easily by me.

Nothing about working with cement is "easy". When concrete/cement
finally finishes "curing", it crumbles into dust.

In 1910 shortcuts could have been taken, dirty (or even beach) sand,
dirty/dusty rock. You may be seeing the end of life of your
foundation.

What are good resources or suggestions you might have. I need to keep
moisture away too. Should i just hire the professional and not get
involved if i have never done this before. The house is not big, but i
could see this being a lot of work.

You need an evaluation/estimate by a competent professional.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 9:11 am, "gpsman" wrote:
On Mar 12, 1:46 am, "meisai" wrote:

[...]

So you suggest letting a pro team do this.
I think i might agree. What should be done to ensure life for the
foundation? it is a comong problem in oregon as they did use dirty
river rocks and sand which is the problem. Is a waterproof coat and
new skim coat enough to keep things in place?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 10:04 am, "meisai" wrote:
On Mar 12, 9:11 am, "gpsman" wrote:

On Mar 12, 1:46 am, "meisai" wrote:

[...]

basically i am asking what questions should i ask to ensure the best
result.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"meisai" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an old 1910 house in Portland OR and the foundation wall is
starting to crumble away. I need to recoat it, i had a professional
come and give me an estimate but i am wondering if this is something
that can be done easily by me.

What are good resources or suggestions you might have. I need to keep
moisture away too. Should i just hire the professional and not get
involved if i have never done this before. The house is not big, but i
could see this being a lot of work.

Thanks

The first thing you need to realize this could be a major problem. The
foundation is the main structural support for your house. If it is grumbling
I don't think recoating it is the answer there is a problem with the
concrete itself. The concrete may have been mixed with sand from a beach the
salt in the sand can cause the concrete to deteriorate it dose take quiet a
few years . Either way you need to consult a contractor or an engineer. I
would get more than one opinion / estimate. The worst scenario is the house
has to be jacked up an a new foundation put under it. It's hard to say
what's going without seeing it. But it's not something an average homeowner
should tackle. If you foundation is actually crumbling you need to do
something about it.