Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to do with pipe bonding

Now that my hot water pipes are replaced with all PEX, I'm left wondering
what I should do with my bonding wire. I left the galvanized in place,
simply cut them with the Sawsall and left in place, but the end of the
bonding wire is attached to it. It's the end of the bonding wire, clamped
to the last portion of the galvanized that I haven't hauled away. Should I
cut the bond wire at the next pipe in the circuit - in this case the gas
line, or should I simply unclamp it from the pipe and leave it dangling, or
should I leave the galvanized pipe in place even though it doesn't go
anywhere or do anything?

In case it isn't clear, the bonding wire goes from the panel, to the cold
water line, to the gas line, then ends at the hot water line. The water
line was replaced with PEX, but the pipes are still in place as is the
bonding wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 22:16:19 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

Now that my hot water pipes are replaced with all PEX, I'm left wondering
what I should do with my bonding wire. I left the galvanized in place,
simply cut them with the Sawsall and left in place, but the end of the
bonding wire is attached to it. It's the end of the bonding wire, clamped
to the last portion of the galvanized that I haven't hauled away. Should I
cut the bond wire at the next pipe in the circuit - in this case the gas
line, or should I simply unclamp it from the pipe and leave it dangling, or
should I leave the galvanized pipe in place even though it doesn't go
anywhere or do anything?

In case it isn't clear, the bonding wire goes from the panel, to the cold
water line, to the gas line, then ends at the hot water line. The water
line was replaced with PEX, but the pipes are still in place as is the
bonding wire.

You mean Grounding wire?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Your interior metallic piping should be bonded to the service equipment. If
you don't have any, or remove it, there would be nothing to bond. If you are
only removing portions of it, make sure the bonding conductor is continuous
to any piping that remains

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Now that my hot water pipes are replaced with all PEX, I'm left wondering
what I should do with my bonding wire. I left the galvanized in place,
simply cut them with the Sawsall and left in place, but the end of the
bonding wire is attached to it. It's the end of the bonding wire, clamped
to the last portion of the galvanized that I haven't hauled away. Should
I cut the bond wire at the next pipe in the circuit - in this case the gas
line, or should I simply unclamp it from the pipe and leave it dangling,
or should I leave the galvanized pipe in place even though it doesn't go
anywhere or do anything?

In case it isn't clear, the bonding wire goes from the panel, to the cold
water line, to the gas line, then ends at the hot water line. The water
line was replaced with PEX, but the pipes are still in place as is the
bonding wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 8:09�am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
[...]

bonding wire.- Hide quoted text -

whats your outdoor line made of? if its metal bond to that.

if your replacing the outside line leave the old metal line in place
and ground to that. a 50 foot unused line in the ground is still a
excellent ground addition to your system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

maybe bond to the hot water tank?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Since there is nothing to bond to anymore I would just coil it up a bit and
tack it to the wall or ceiling. I suppose that you could cut it back to the
gas pipe, but I'm the type of person who would leave it there in case you
change back to copper in 50 years. There is no need to leave the galvanized
in place since it no longer is functional.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Now that my hot water pipes are replaced with all PEX, I'm left wondering
what I should do with my bonding wire. I left the galvanized in place,
simply cut them with the Sawsall and left in place, but the end of the
bonding wire is attached to it. It's the end of the bonding wire, clamped
to the last portion of the galvanized that I haven't hauled away. Should I
cut the bond wire at the next pipe in the circuit - in this case the gas
line, or should I simply unclamp it from the pipe and leave it dangling, or
should I leave the galvanized pipe in place even though it doesn't go
anywhere or do anything?

In case it isn't clear, the bonding wire goes from the panel, to the cold
water line, to the gas line, then ends at the hot water line. The water
line was replaced with PEX, but the pipes are still in place as is the
bonding wire.

Assuming your buried outdoor pipe is still metallic, just run a longer
ground wire from the water heater all the way over to your water
entrance pipe, and connect the clamp there. Even if you got to tack
50 feet of wire across your basement rafters, that's still better than
having old sections of galvanized pipe, which serve no purpose if they
are not connected to metal. DO NOT use the gas pipe. Thats a bad
idea. Just get some bare, or green insulated wire of the same or
thicker gauge as what you have now, and run it to your water entrance
pipe, which is usually where the water meter is located.

If you dont have a metallic underground pipe, drive a ground rod
outside and connect to that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
Now that my hot water pipes are replaced with all PEX, I'm left
wondering what I should do with my bonding wire. I left the
galvanized in place, simply cut them with the Sawsall and left in
place, but the end of the bonding wire is attached to it. It's the
end of the bonding wire, clamped to the last portion of the
galvanized that I haven't hauled away. Should I cut the bond wire at
the next pipe in the circuit - in this case the gas line, or should I
simply unclamp it from the pipe and leave it dangling, or should I
leave the galvanized pipe in place even though it doesn't go anywhere
or do anything?
In case it isn't clear, the bonding wire goes from the panel, to the
cold water line, to the gas line, then ends at the hot water line. The
water line was replaced with PEX, but the pipes are still in
place as is the bonding wire.

The purpose of the "bonding" wire is NOT to ground the electrical service.
It's purpose is to ground the plumbing. If the "bonding" wire is attached to
something that can never be touched by a human (instead of plumbing
fixtures), it's irrelevant what you bond it to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

[...]

Alright that sounds like a reasonable solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Perhaps, but like I said the cold water line is already bonded and while I
didn't include this in the original post, I already have a typical grounded
electrical system anyway. I'm gonna go with what Grabowski suggested and
just hang it somewhere out of the way and remove the rest of the galvanized

Bonding [email protected] UK diy 4 November 6th 06 11:54 PM
Cross-bonding/earth bonding gas meter Jim UK diy 1 July 28th 06 09:19 PM
PVC pipe problem ..what is best for "bonding"?? mrbreeze Home Repair 2 June 18th 05 01:26 AM
PVC pipe problem ..what is best for "bonding"?? mrbreeze Home Repair 0 June 17th 05 10:59 PM
ME Bonding Jon UK diy 0 August 31st 04 04:39 PM