Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

Default What is "wall heat"?

I'm looking at houses for sale online. Quite a number list the heating as
simply "Wall heat". From what I can tell, these are basically individual
wall-mounted electric heatera. Don't know if they're controlled from a
central thermostat, or you just set them in each room like a bunch of space
heaters. Seems pretty inefficient. Am I misinterpreting this?

TIA

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 4:53 pm, "Dan" wrote:
I'm looking at houses for sale online. Quite a number list the heating as
simply "Wall heat". From what I can tell, these are basically individual
wall-mounted electric heatera. Don't know if they're controlled from a
central thermostat, or you just set them in each room like a bunch of space
heaters. Seems pretty inefficient. Am I misinterpreting this?

Not sure on this but it may mean that the part of the wall contains
hydronic heat. The same way floors can be heated with hot water in
the floor, walls can be heated the same way. It can not be seen, but
the entire wall can be the heater. If this is what it is then it will
be controlled by thermostat. This is something you might see on a
nicer home.

If it's a wall-type space heater then that's another thing. In that
case the heater is imbedded in the wall and has a fan. You don't see
them too much anymore. I have only seen them in very cheap houses and
cabins. Some have controls right on the heater while others are
connected to a thermostat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I found this:

http://www.aspencore.org/sitepages/pid67.php

It could be what they are talking about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan wrote:
I'm looking at houses for sale online. Quite a number list the
heating as simply "Wall heat". From what I can tell, these are
basically individual wall-mounted electric heatera. Don't know if
they're controlled from a central thermostat, or you just set them in
each room like a bunch of space heaters. Seems pretty inefficient. Am I
misinterpreting this?

A space heater can be extremely efficient.

As in heating only the bedroom for eight hours instead of the whole house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
I'm looking at houses for sale online. Quite a number list the heating as
simply "Wall heat". From what I can tell, these are basically individual
wall-mounted electric heatera. Don't know if they're controlled from a
central thermostat, or you just set them in each room like a bunch of
space heaters. Seems pretty inefficient. Am I misinterpreting this?

They could mean baseboard heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 14:53:25 -0800, "Dan" wrote:

I'm looking at houses for sale online. Quite a number list the heating as
simply "Wall heat". From what I can tell, these are basically individual
wall-mounted electric heatera. Don't know if they're controlled from a
central thermostat, or you just set them in each room like a bunch of space
heaters. Seems pretty inefficient. Am I misinterpreting this?

It could mean a lot of things. And terminology and what is actually
used varies from one part of the country and world to another. To give
yourself a good chance of getting a good answer, you should say where
these houses are. Maybe even in the subject line.

TIA

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gas wall heaters used to be fairly popular here in S Tx. They seem to
also be very popular in S California, where central air is not as common
as you would think. Of course they come in varying capacities, features
and controls. Some oldest ones did not have a thermostat at all-- just
an adjustment like on the burner of a gas stove. Others have a built in
thermostat with a mercury filled cap tube/bulb.Still others have a
millivolt control and a wall thermostat. They also have units with 24
volt controls and a wall stat, but those kind usually have a
thermostatically controlled fan motor also which is not an accessory but
must work (as in a regular central furnace). Some of the others have an
accessory fan that is not necessary for the heater to operate. One
advantage of the units that do not use 24volts is that they will work
during a power outage. Overall, they usually work fairly well. The main
problem with them is that the burners are only about a foot or less off
the floor, so they are real bad about getting stopped up with dust, pet
hair etc. It is obviously very important that they be kept clean. I
realize that these type of heaters may not even be what you are talking
about though, but I just had to put in my 2 cents. Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"lp13-30" wrote in message
[...]

In this part of the country, that usually means wall furnace, as described
above. I have one sitting in may garage, waiting for the next garage sale,
that I ripped out of this addition last year, in favor of extending the duct
trunk from the new real furnace I installed at the same time, to replace the
1960 original. Common in trailers and cheap duplex/triplex rentals in
college towns.

aem sends...