Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whirlpool fridge door liner

Hi all, common lurker and now I need to throw this out.

I have a Whirlpool side-by-side fridge that has the adjustable shelf in the
door for things like the gallon milk jug, etc. Well as we all know how
gentle boys are, the tabs on the liner that hold the shelf keep breaking and
now we're on our last pair within the door. The tabs are really just
protruding bumps that hold the shelf in place and to replace any of these it
looks like the liner needs replacing as it is all one piece of plastic.
Repairclinic.com doesn't have a listing and another Whirlpool part source
has the liner as a non-serviceable part. I can't be the only one who needs
to fix these tabs, have any of you had this issue and what did you do to
resolve it ?(beside take out the adjustable shelf and use the fixed
shelving).

--
John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 10, 9:24 am, "John" wrote:
Hi all, common lurker and now I need to throw this out.

I have a Whirlpool side-by-side fridge that has the adjustable shelf in the
door for things like the gallon milk jug, etc. Well as we all know how
gentle boys are, the tabs on the liner that hold the shelf keep breaking and
now we're on our last pair within the door. The tabs are really just
protruding bumps that hold the shelf in place and to replace any of these it
looks like the liner needs replacing as it is all one piece of plastic.
Repairclinic.com doesn't have a listing and another Whirlpool part source
has the liner as a non-serviceable part. I can't be the only one who needs
to fix these tabs, have any of you had this issue and what did you do to
resolve it ?(beside take out the adjustable shelf and use the fixed
shelving).

Since you have eliminated the obvious solutions I will reluctantly
tell you what I did when confronted with this problem. Since you can
no longer get parts for the thing you can assume it is junk and you
may make any modifications you desire without any loss of value.

I used a hunk of plywood cut to fit over the existing supports.
Admittedly, plywood is not too sanitary or beautiful but I always have
a variety of sizes on hand for any purpose. It is cheap and easy to
throw it out and replace if desired.

You could use your imagination and use different a material. If you
glued a solid edge to the pw and painted it with a hard core enamel it
might look nicer and be possible to clean. Even better, you could use
a melamine coated plywood. Usually only bachelors can get away this
this type of thing. Tell the wifey it is cheaper than a new fridge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Several ideas come to mind. First look on craigslist or the want ads for a
similar fridge that can replace what you have or just swap the door. Often
for $50-$75 you can pickup used units.

The second idea is to glue in some thicker chunks of plastic for your shelf
support. I believe that the plastic used in lining most fridge doors is
high impact polystyrene, and this can be solvent bonded with acetone.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
"John" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 10:24:10 -0500, "John" wrote:

Hi all, common lurker and now I need to throw this out.

I have a Whirlpool side-by-side fridge that has the adjustable shelf in the
door for things like the gallon milk jug, etc. Well as we all know how
gentle boys are, the tabs on the liner that hold the shelf keep breaking and
now we're on our last pair within the door. The tabs are really just
protruding bumps that hold the shelf in place and to replace any of these it
looks like the liner needs replacing as it is all one piece of plastic.
Repairclinic.com doesn't have a listing and another Whirlpool part source
has the liner as a non-serviceable part. I can't be the only one who needs
to fix these tabs, have any of you had this issue and what did you do to
resolve it ?(beside take out the adjustable shelf and use the fixed
shelving).

Check your local craigslist. Folks are selling or giving away
appliances all the time. If can find your model, swap out the panel
or door.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 09:05:47 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

Now might be the time to mention that we used to have a Crosley
Shelv-a-Door, or maybe Shelv-a-Dor, the first or one of the first to
have shelves on the door, and the only one to name their model after
that fact. I guess we got it between 1945 and 1952, but I don't know
when.

After I learned to read, it took looking at it 5 or 6 times before I
realized what shelv-a-dor actually meant. Before then, I thought it
was related to Salvador Dali or something like that.

Several ideas come to mind. First look on craigslist or the want ads for a
similar fridge that can replace what you have or just swap the door. Often
for $50-$75 you can pickup used units.

The second idea is to glue in some thicker chunks of plastic for your shelf
support. I believe that the plastic used in lining most fridge doors is
high impact polystyrene, and this can be solvent bonded with acetone.

If you can bond it well, especially as above, that's good.

If not, use nylon string, a couple millimeters thick, which is very
strong and I don't think stretches much**. Drill a hole at the right
spots in the shelf and drill a hole in the door to give it a place to
tie it to. It won't look so good**, but every time your kids go to
the fridge, they'll see the result of the damage they did. You won't
have to nag them, or even tell them, although details of how to handle
children are beyond me, especially since I don't know how old they
are.

**Although nylon probably doesn't get that dirty and probably cleans
fairly well.

**The yellow stuff that doesn't stretch at all is no good here becasue
you can't tie knots in it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:23:06 -0600, Deke wrote:

That's exactly why God made J.B. Weld.

That might be a good idea, but then he should use PC-11, which is just
as stong and sticks to just as many things (and dries while wet) and
white. Which might be the color of the door and shelves. Often need
a finger in denatured alcohol or if not available, spit, to smooth the
surface. In fact should probably practice on something else if the
goal is to make the fridge look nice.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed" wrote in message
What is the model number?