Posted to alt.home.repair
TC TC is offline

Default Lights blowing out frequently

My kitchen lights (60w bulb) blow out at least monthly, but more like
twice a month. What can be the cause of this? This if the only room in
the house with this issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TC wrote:
My kitchen lights (60w bulb) blow out at least monthly, but more like
twice a month. What can be the cause of this? This if the only room in
the house with this issue.

There area number of possible issues.

Is there any vibration sources near them? (exhaust fan, equipment above
them etc.)

Are they enclosed where heat may be a factor?

Is there any chance of moisture?

Do you have any areas of your home where the lights tend to brighten or
dim at times? Especially if they do so in response to some other electrical
even like the furnace or washer or frig starting or stopping?

Are those the only lights burning out early?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

TC wrote:
My kitchen lights (60w bulb) blow out at least monthly, but more like
twice a month. What can be the cause of this? This if the only room in
the house with this issue.

Do you mean the breaker is blowing or the 60w bulb? What condition is
the socket in? is it rusty?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TC" wrote in message
My kitchen lights (60w bulb) blow out at least monthly, but more like
twice a month. What can be the cause of this? This if the only room in
the house with this issue.

If you use those lights a lot, it could be high line voltage. Mine is 130
volts and that is damned hard on incandescent bulbs.

Have you checked your line voltage?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 9, 8:39?am, "TC" wrote:
My kitchen lights (60w bulb) blow out at least monthly, but more like
twice a month. What can be the cause of this? This if the only room in
the house with this issue.

--

do these lights get turned on and off constantly?

Posted to alt.home.repair
TC TC is offline

wicked wrote:

TC wrote:
My kitchen lights (60w bulb) blow out at least monthly, but more
like twice a month. What can be the cause of this? This if the only
room in the house with this issue.

Do you mean the breaker is blowing or the 60w bulb? What condition is
the socket in? is it rusty?

The bulb. The socket looks fine, although, not high-end. And there are
two sockets on the same line - both eat up lightbulbs pretty
frequently. No moisture or obstructions that I can see.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TC wrote:
My kitchen lights (60w bulb) blow out at least monthly, but more like
twice a month. What can be the cause of this? This if the only room in
the house with this issue.

How many bulbs?

Do they all blow out simultaneously?

Have you ever cought one blowing out with a bright flash just as you
flipped the light switch ON?

Are all the bulbs from the same lot?

Are the bathroom lights also 60 watt bulbs, and if so are they from the
same lot?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

TC wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

TC wrote:

My kitchen lights (60w bulb) blow out at least monthly, but more
like twice a month. What can be the cause of this? This if the only
room in the house with this issue.

How many bulbs?

Do they all blow out simultaneously?

Have you ever cought one blowing out with a bright flash just as you
flipped the light switch ON?

Are all the bulbs from the same lot?

Are the bathroom lights also 60 watt bulbs, and if so are they from
the same lot?

Jeff

Just 2 on the same line. We normally use the brand carried by Publix -
60w. It has blown with a bit of a flash but cannnot say if it does it
always.

You didn't respond to Joseph's questions about whether there might be
vibration from something near or above the lamps, nor his one about
lights dimming or brightening when appliances or other "heavy" loads
turn on or off.

I once lived where the folks upstairs had a treadmill located above one
of my ceiling light fixtures and I'd swear that the vibration from that
made the bulbs in that fixture blow more ofthen than I thought they
should. (Not to mention the annoyance of living with that rumble.)

The brightening or dimming of bulbs when appliances turn on or off is
usually a symptom of a higher than "zero" resistance in the connection
between the power company's lines and the home's breaker panel's neutral
buss.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
TC TC is offline

Joseph Meehan wrote:

TC wrote:
My kitchen lights (60w bulb) blow out at least monthly, but more
like twice a month. What can be the cause of this? This if the only
room in the house with this issue.

There area number of possible issues.

Is there any vibration sources near them? (exhaust fan, equipment
above them etc.)

Nothing that I can see. Just insulation. The AC duct is about 3' away.
That's it though.

Are they enclosed where heat may be a factor?

Just insulation? But I don't think heat is an issue.

Is there any chance of moisture?

I didn't see anything to indicate moisture.

Do you have any areas of your home where the lights tend to brighten
or dim at times? Especially if they do so in response to some other
electrical even like the furnace or washer or frig starting or
stopping?

No.

Are those the only lights burning out early?

No.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"TC" wrote in message
Joseph Meehan wrote:

TC wrote:
[...]

If other lights are burning out early around your home, you could have
what is called a floating neutral. It is the result of a poor connection of
the "white" neutral wire somewhere. The result is some outlets and lights
may receive more than the expected voltage and others less. The amount may
change as different loads are added or subtracted.

This can be dangerous. It it exist it can cause a fire and damage
appliances.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09 Mar 2007 13:39:17 GMT, "TC" wrote:

My kitchen lights (60w bulb) blow out at least monthly, but more like
twice a month. What can be the cause of this? This if the only room in
the house with this issue.

I would have bet it was cheap lamps had you not mentioned that it does
not do it in the bathroom.

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/liteBulb.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 09 Mar 2007 22:30:16 GMT, "TC" wrote:

Are the bathroom lights also 60 watt bulbs, and if so are they from
the same lot?

Jeff

Just 2 on the same line. We normally use the brand carried by Publix -

This is your problem. YOu've heard how bad the Publics hools are,
right? You need to use Privatex light bulbs.

60w. It has blown with a bit of a flash but cannnot say if it does it
always.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09 Mar 2007 23:14:57 GMT, "TC" wrote:

Joseph Meehan wrote:

TC wrote:
[...]

You keep mentioning insulation. Are these recessed lights? If so, I
bet it's a heat issue. Try some compact florescent bulbs. THey run
much cooler.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BZ BZ is offline

TC wrote:

Have you checked your line voltage?

I have not.

That's the first thing I would recommend. Head down to Radio Shack and
get a cheap digital voltmeter for $10. Then just set it for AC voltage,
remove the light bulb, and touch one lead to the inside threaded part of
the socket and the other lead to the center of the socket. If you're
reading much over 120 V, that could explain the short lifespan of the bulbs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

TC wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

TC wrote:
My kitchen lights (60w bulb) blow out at least monthly, but more
like twice a month. What can be the cause of this? This if the only
room in the house with this issue.

There area number of possible issues.

Is there any vibration sources near them? (exhaust fan, equipment
above them etc.)

Nothing that I can see. Just insulation. The AC duct is about 3' away.
That's it though.

Are they enclosed where heat may be a factor?

Just insulation? But I don't think heat is an issue.

Note: not all recessed lights are rated to be used with insulation close
to them. They will overheat and create both a fire hazard and reduced lamp
life.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
TC TC is offline

BZ wrote:

TC wrote:

Have you checked your line voltage?

I have not.

That's the first thing I would recommend. Head down to Radio Shack
and get a cheap digital voltmeter for $10. Then just set it for AC
voltage, remove the light bulb, and touch one lead to the inside
threaded part of the socket and the other lead to the center of the
socket. If you're reading much over 120 V, that could explain the
short lifespan of the bulbs.

Both sockets are at 120.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 10 Mar 2007 13:43:53 GMT, "TC" wrote:

BZ wrote:

TC wrote:

Have you checked your line voltage?

I have not.

That's the first thing I would recommend. Head down to Radio Shack
and get a cheap digital voltmeter for $10. Then just set it for AC
voltage, remove the light bulb, and touch one lead to the inside
threaded part of the socket and the other lead to the center of the
socket. If you're reading much over 120 V, that could explain the
short lifespan of the bulbs.

Both sockets are at 120.

You should still measure the sockets where you say the bulbs last
longer.

Even if your voltage is correct at this location, if it is lower at
other locations, bulbs will last longer there.

No, I don't especially think that is the situation, but when one does
testing, he should test and record everything that could be relevant.
Later on, he can figure out what is important and what isn't.
Although he likely won't figure that out until he figures out the
problem. That's why he needs all this info.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TC TC is offline

BZ wrote:

TC wrote:

[...]

I'll do that. In addition, I'll record the dates of each new bulb and
when it blew. That should give me a true impression of the issue - if
one exists.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , TC wrote:
My kitchen lights (60w bulb) blow out at least monthly, but more like
twice a month. What can be the cause of this? This if the only room in
the house with this issue.

Among whatever other factors get mentioned by others, I suggest a
possibility:

You had a blowout and replaced the blowout with a a bad brand/model,
leading to a string of frequent replacements.

I suggest avoiding dollar store ones for one thing. I also suggest
using ones made in North America, Europe or (less likely for a non-halogen
incandescent) Japan rather than China.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:

TC wrote:
[...]

Compact fluorescents can fare even worse in recessed ceiling fixtures.
Their output of convected and convected heat is not reduced as much as
many would expect, since they produce little infrared. A 42 watt spiral
compact fluorescent can produce slightly more convected/conducted heat
than a 60 watt incandescent.
Add to this the fact that screw-base compact fluorescents cannot
withstand high temperatures as well as incandescents because heat is bad
for the built-in ballasts in screw-base CFLs.

In recessed ceiling fixtures, if you use screw-base CFLs it is better
to:

1) Use CFLs rated for such use, such as Philips SLS of wattages 15, 20,
and non-dimmable 23 watts

2) In general, use lower wattage. Odds are fair if you don't exceed 23
watts, better if you don't exceed 18 watts.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In , Charles Schuler wrote:

"TC" wrote in message
.. .
My kitchen lights (60w bulb) blow out at least monthly, but more like
twice a month. What can be the cause of this? This if the only room in
the house with this issue.

If you use those lights a lot, it could be high line voltage. Mine is 130
volts and that is damned hard on incandescent bulbs.

Have you checked your line voltage?

I have found 130V lightbulbs at Lowes.

120V lightbulbs at 130V have about 40% of their rated life.

Another option is "/99" type lightbulbs, rated to last 2500 hours at
120V but not as compromised in light output as vibration-resistant
industrial service lightbulbs. "/99" lightbulbs should last on average
a good 900 hours at 130V. Last time I checked, bulbs.com sells these of
the Philips brand.

- Don Klipstein )