Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Interesting entry door replacement

I'm replacing an entry door from my attached garage coming into the
house and have run into an interesting twist that I have not seen
before. Was wondering how others may have dealt with this.

It's a 30 inch prehung steel entry door with the special hinges for
doors that open out, 5 1/4 inch jambs.

The tricky part is the existing threshold on the old door is made of
solid concrete. It's a little mini slab that is 5 1/4 deep, 30 inches
or so wide and runs down about a foot all the way to the blocks that
make up the basement wall. It's a solid piece as far as I can tell.

I figure I will need to either remove the whole thig and reframe or
somehow try to cut/shave down the cement until level with sublfoor.
Since the cement threshold is already 1.5 inches above the sublfoor I
can't just set the new door on top, the step up would be too much.

I'm pretty certain I will need to remove the whole thing as it would
be hard and dusty to try to cut out part of it and get a level smooth
surface to set the new door into.

Anybody dealt with this before? Is this a common technique? I have
not seen it before but then again I may not have noticed anyway. The
house was built in the early 50's.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder if you could fashion a sliding door instead?

--
"Anybody can have more birthdays, but it takes balls to get old!"

BetsyB

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have two thoughts. First I would not mess with the threshold. Either buy
a door that will fit your opening or make your opening taller at the top to
make it fit.

If you are concerned about the hinges, locksmith shops generally carry or
can get the same hinges or special screws that will accomplish the same
thing.

--
Roger Shoaf

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
| I'm replacing an entry door from my attached garage coming into the
| house and have run into an interesting twist that I have not seen
| before. Was wondering how others may have dealt with this.
|
| It's a 30 inch prehung steel entry door with the special hinges for
| doors that open out, 5 1/4 inch jambs.
|
| The tricky part is the existing threshold on the old door is made of
| solid concrete. It's a little mini slab that is 5 1/4 deep, 30 inches
| or so wide and runs down about a foot all the way to the blocks that
| make up the basement wall. It's a solid piece as far as I can tell.
|
| I figure I will need to either remove the whole thig and reframe or
| somehow try to cut/shave down the cement until level with sublfoor.
| Since the cement threshold is already 1.5 inches above the sublfoor I
| can't just set the new door on top, the step up would be too much.

do not make the door opening flush with the floor just in case there is
a fuel leak in the garage.

| I'm pretty certain I will need to remove the whole thing as it would
| be hard and dusty to try to cut out part of it and get a level smooth
| surface to set the new door into.
|
| Anybody dealt with this before? Is this a common technique? I have
| not seen it before but then again I may not have noticed anyway. The
| house was built in the early 50's.
|
| Thanks for any thoughts you may have.
|
| Don

Finishing Fiberglass Entry Door RonB Woodworking 4 September 15th 06 06:03 AM
Kick plate on an entry door? Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 3 September 9th 06 02:55 AM
entry door Tony Pacc Home Repair 3 July 28th 06 07:42 PM
fibreglass entry door Dave Home Repair 3 July 7th 06 06:14 PM
door entry system Cuprager UK diy 4 February 25th 05 12:42 AM