Posted to alt.home.repair

Default laser level for checking joist?

I'm shopping for an auto laser level -- a device that mounts on a wall and
projects a vertical and horizontal laser beam on the wall. I want to check
the posts and beams in the crawl space because I suspect there is some
uneven settlement, or a sagged joist (some posts have been replaced recently
and may be cut too short, causing the joist to sag). What prompted this
project is part of my hardwood floor has split into two levels about 1mm
apart.

I thought a laser level would be perfect because it projects a straight line
so I can checked for joist straighness and "horizontal-ness" by projecting
the beam near the edge of the joist.

I saw something like this at hardware store for $40.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...180&lpage=none

Although for this project I can do without the vertical beam, it may come in
handy someday.

There are many styles of self-leveling laser level. The one above needs to
be attached or held against a wall/post and it projects beams on the wall.
Another type mounts on a tripod and project a horizontal beam 360 degree
around.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the instrument or the way I plan to use it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

peter wrote:
[...]

The only problem I see is that you are looking at the wrong side of the
joists if you're just checking the bottom of the joist. The 2X ? can vary in
width and not give you the reading your looking for. I suggest you use the
laser but measure to the bottom of the floor to the beam and then determine
what is off and how to go about lifting and correcting.

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 16:59:17 GMT, "peter" wrote:

[...]

I vote for the twine solution.

My laser is more fun, but the twine is much more accurate and easier
to use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

around.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the instrument or the way I plan to use it?

I vote for the twine solution.

My laser is more fun, but the twine is much more accurate and easier
to use.

I'd vote for a water level. It's the only way I can think of to
determine the relative height differences between the top (horizontal)
surfaces of the joists.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 16:59:17 GMT, "peter" wrote:

I'm shopping for an auto laser level -- a device that mounts on a wall and
projects a vertical and horizontal laser beam on the wall. I want to check
the posts and beams in the crawl space because I suspect there is some
uneven settlement, or a sagged joist (some posts have been replaced recently
and may be cut too short, causing the joist to sag). What prompted this
project is part of my hardwood floor has split into two levels about 1mm
apart.

I thought a laser level would be perfect because it projects a straight line
so I can checked for joist straighness and "horizontal-ness" by projecting
the beam near the edge of the joist.

If the floor isn't level, and the joists are touching the floor,
then the joists aren't level. (well, if they're level,
you don't want them to be.) Why does this require a tool?

Rotary laser level not even close to level Fred Home Repair 7 October 4th 05 12:06 AM
detect the laser from my laser level? HotRod Home Repair 6 September 23rd 05 04:58 PM
Laser Level Help Steve Home Repair 8 August 16th 05 11:51 PM
Laser Level Ed Hayes Home Repair 15 March 7th 05 04:16 AM
Laser Level Will Woodworking 1 March 1st 05 12:19 AM