Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default laser level for checking joist?

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 16:59:17 GMT, "peter" wrote:

I'm shopping for an auto laser level -- a device that mounts on a wall and
projects a vertical and horizontal laser beam on the wall. I want to check
the posts and beams in the crawl space because I suspect there is some
uneven settlement, or a sagged joist (some posts have been replaced recently
and may be cut too short, causing the joist to sag). What prompted this
project is part of my hardwood floor has split into two levels about 1mm
apart.

I thought a laser level would be perfect because it projects a straight line
so I can checked for joist straighness and "horizontal-ness" by projecting
the beam near the edge of the joist.

If the floor isn't level, and the joists are touching the floor,
then the joists aren't level. (well, if they're level,
you don't want them to be.) Why does this require a tool?