Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Walking washing machcine

I've got a recent model top-loading Maytag washer that has started to rotate
counterclockwise and "walk" in the spin cycle. It happens with small loads
as well as large loads and it doesn't matter if the load consists of big
items like sheets/towels or small stuff-- socks, shirts.

Any ideas for a fix?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 08:08:41 -0500, "Special Ed" ed@class wrote:

I've got a recent model top-loading Maytag washer that has started to rotate
counterclockwise and "walk" in the spin cycle. It happens with small loads
as well as large loads and it doesn't matter if the load consists of big
items like sheets/towels or small stuff-- socks, shirts.

Any ideas for a fix?

Most likely the levelling legs are uneven. This causes the machine to
wobble and therefore "walk". They are quite easy to adjust. Make
sure all four make contact with the floor and then lock the nuts
tight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Special Ed wrote:
I've got a recent model top-loading Maytag washer that has started to rotate
counterclockwise and "walk" in the spin cycle. It happens with small loads
as well as large loads and it doesn't matter if the load consists of big
items like sheets/towels or small stuff-- socks, shirts.

Any ideas for a fix?

You need to make sure that the legs are carrying equal weight, not
just making contact. If one of the legs is carrying less weight, the
machine will walk. The bigger the discrepancy, the more it will want
to walk.

When you adjust the legs try to equalize the pressure you put on the
wrench on each leg, then tighten down the locking nuts. If you don't
tighten the locking nuts the machine vibrations will loosen the legs
and it will start to walk again.

If you have easy access to all of the legs when the machine is in
place it's very simple. If you have to pull the machine out to adjust
the rear leveling legs it will take some fiddling around - pulling the
machine forward, adjusting, then putting it back in place and testing
- until the legs are adjusted properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 8:08 am, "Special Ed" ed@class wrote:
I've got a recent model top-loading Maytag washer that has started to rotate
counterclockwise and "walk" in the spin cycle.

Level it. Check your manual, or you can probably find it online. I
think most washers today have "self-leveling" rear legs...
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 5 Mar 2007 08:52:46 -0800, "gpsman" wrote:

On Mar 5, 8:08 am, "Special Ed" ed@class wrote:
I've got a recent model top-loading Maytag washer that has started to rotate
counterclockwise and "walk" in the spin cycle.

Level it. Check your manual, or you can probably find it online. I
think most washers today have "self-leveling" rear legs...

Yes, IIRC I think my whirlpool from 40 years ago had that, and my
current Kenmore from 28 years ago. They might need a little help, by
tipping the machine forward so the back is up a couple (2) inches, and
then dropping the machine down.

Machines learn to walk when they are little, but after they learn to
talk, you should be able to reason with them.

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
On 5 Mar 2007 08:52:46 -0800, "gpsman" wrote:

On Mar 5, 8:08 am, "Special Ed" ed@class wrote:
I've got a recent model top-loading Maytag washer that has started to
rotate
counterclockwise and "walk" in the spin cycle.

Level it. Check your manual, or you can probably find it online. I
think most washers today have "self-leveling" rear legs...

Yes, IIRC I think my whirlpool from 40 years ago had that, and my
current Kenmore from 28 years ago. They might need a little help, by
tipping the machine forward so the back is up a couple (2) inches, and
then dropping the machine down.

Machines learn to walk when they are little, but after they learn to
talk, you should be able to reason with them.

- gpsman

Hmmm...it does have self-leveling rears. Maybe I'll try the "drop" technique
and see it that clears it up.

Thanks to all for the advice

Ed

Posted to alt.home.repair

I put one of those recycled tire rubber "Stall" mats under my front
loader. It has really quieted my machine down and no movement what so
ever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the machine jerks around when the spin cycle comes to a stop, then
the brake is grabbing too quickly. If you have a warranty or
maintenance agreement, then ask about having the brake replaced. It
is about a twenty minute job, but requires a special tool to do it.

Walking stick parts justme Woodworking 5 March 25th 05 12:07 PM
walking washing machine Kerry Hoskin UK diy 10 February 29th 04 11:15 PM
Walking washing machine Jackie UK diy 6 July 7th 03 08:08 PM