Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gutter De-Icing Cable

I seem to recall a product for de-icing gutters. It was a tape/cable
that ran underneath the gutters, was held by adhesve, and did not
enter the roof line. The idea of the product was to allow a free flow
of water through the gutters by heating from the bottom, giving a
channel. If memory serves, it could also be wrpped around or run down
the back of the downspouts to keep them free from ice as well.

All I see available now are the cables that zig-zag across the bottom
foot or so of the roof, and apparently into the gutter as well. I
assume that these are probably better for the purpose of preventing
ice dams, which is my objective, but I don't want to attach anything
to my roof, even with adhesive.

So, my questions: Are the under gutter tapes available (or were they
perhaps a figment of my imagination)?
If they are available, are they effective in preventing ice dams? Are
the zig-zag tapes better? Is there a way to attach the zig-zag tapes
to the roof without adhesives, tacks or nails? I saw clips
advertised, but I wonder about their effectiveness.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

In order to assist you, we will need to know what city and state you're in.
Climate reasons, ya know?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 Mar 2007 13:03:16 -0800, "
wrote:

[...]

I thought there was a 'temp' way to attach these heat cables.
Something like a clip that holds onto the cable and the tip of a
shingle.

Might want to call manufacturers to see if they have such items.

tom @ www.FatHubby.com