Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to remove glued laminate countertops?

Hi all,
I am prepping my kitchen for the install of granite countertops. I am
removing the laminate countertops myself and for the most part I am
not really too concerned, except for one part. Most of my countertops
appear to just be screwed down. I have an "upper" area of countertop
that is at bar height. This part of the countertop is 18" deep and
sits on a 2x6 framed half wall. I pulled the trim off and it looks
like this countertop is attached with some sort of construction
adhesive (brown and looks like liquid nails). Can anyone give me some
pointers on how I can go about removing this countertop? This stuff
is
really strong I can hang on the ledge and it doesn't even budge.

Thanks,
Dino

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 3:15?pm, wrote:
Hi all,
I am prepping my kitchen for the install of granite countertops. I am
removing the laminate countertops myself and for the most part I am
not really too concerned, except for one part. Most of my countertops
appear to just be screwed down. I have an "upper" area of countertop
that is at bar height. This part of the countertop is 18" deep and
sits on a 2x6 framed half wall. I pulled the trim off and it looks
like this countertop is attached with some sort of construction
adhesive (brown and looks like liquid nails). Can anyone give me some
pointers on how I can go about removing this countertop? This stuff
is
really strong I can hang on the ledge and it doesn't even budge.

Thanks,
Dino

granite is costly how old are your existing cabinets? few would
install granite over old cabinets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi all,
I am prepping my kitchen for the install of granite countertops. I am
removing the laminate countertops myself and for the most part I am
not really too concerned, except for one part. Most of my countertops
appear to just be screwed down. I have an "upper" area of countertop
that is at bar height. This part of the countertop is 18" deep and
sits on a 2x6 framed half wall. I pulled the trim off and it looks
like this countertop is attached with some sort of construction
adhesive (brown and looks like liquid nails). Can anyone give me some
pointers on how I can go about removing this countertop? This stuff
is
really strong I can hang on the ledge and it doesn't even budge.

Thanks,
Dino

It's a good bet that whatever you do you're going to wreck that top 2x6 that
it's glued to. You might find yourself rebuilding that kneewall that it's
attached to. Hallerb also offers a valid point and no offense intended.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 3:37 pm, " wrote:
On Feb 25, 3:15?pm, wrote:

[...]

My cabinets are 4 years old.
I was able to remove that countertop. I used a circular saw to trim
the countertop to 6" wide (the same as the 2x6 top plate). I then used
a reciprocating saw and pry bar to get it up. That particular
countertop was angled. Luckily only the angled piece was glued. The
other part was screwed. The 2x6 is a little chewed up (not too bad
though) in a couple of spots. I will fill in the couple of spots where
some of the 2x6 splintered off with wood epoxy. Now I need to remove a
cooktop, sink and backsplashes and the rest of my countertops....
(Luckily they are just screwed)

Dino