Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is wrong with this shower diverter?

I have an Eljer shower faucet. When the water comes out at the bottom
into the tub all is great. When I turn the diverter to the shower I
get half water from the shower but still get the other half out the
bottom.

When the diverter is set for the tub output the washer in the stem is
pushing up against the seat - so that part is working fine. The
washer is good and the seat is in good condition.

I took out the diverter stem and when the water is coming out of the
shower the end of the stem is just copper on copper. There must be
some missing part - a fitted washer I guess? Does anyone know or have
a picture of what the diverter stem should look like? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 3:13 am, wrote:
wrote:
I have an Eljer shower faucet. When the water comes out at the bottom
into the tub all is great. When I turn the diverter to the shower I get
half water from the shower but still get the other half out the bottom.

I replaced my old diverter after measuring an 8% flow out of the bottom
and replaced the new one with a quarter-turn valve after measuring a 6%
flow out of the bottom.

Nick

Those Chinamen don't always assemble things correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 9:10 am, "Jack" wrote:
On Feb 25, 3:13 am, wrote:

wrote:
I have an Eljer shower faucet. When the water comes out at the bottom
into the tub all is great. When I turn the diverter to the shower I get
half water from the shower but still get the other half out the bottom.

I replaced my old diverter after measuring an 8% flow out of the bottom
and replaced the new one with a quarter-turn valve after measuring a 6%
flow out of the bottom.

Nick

Those Chinamen don't always assemble things correctly.

This thing was probably made in the late 50's. I doubt any chinamen
were working on Eljer shower faucets back then anyway.