Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No water in home

I've got a coach house in Chicago (house behind the main house at the
street). We went on vacation and never left a faucet trickling and
Chicago just had a very bad freeze. We came back to zero water in our
coach house. The water main is not frozen (front building has water).
The line which runs underground from the front building to the coach
house is what I assume is frozen. We've had a full week of temps in
the 40's, but we still don't have water. Any ideas??
Thanks is advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got a coach house in Chicago (house behind the main house at the
street). We went on vacation and never left a faucet trickling and
Chicago just had a very bad freeze. We came back to zero water in our
coach house. The water main is not frozen (front building has water).
The line which runs underground from the front building to the coach
house is what I assume is frozen. We've had a full week of temps in
the 40's, but we still don't have water. Any ideas??
Thanks is advance!

Could still be frozen. Takes a very long time to thaw underground. 40's in
the day, but what about at night? Is it a copper pipe? There are ways to
defrost without digging up assuming the pipe is not split. You probably
need a pro.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is a copper pipe. Ahoudln't I be getting at least some dripping
after the weather warmed up for a week?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
It is a copper pipe. Ahoudln't I be getting at least some dripping
after the weather warmed up for a week?

It was very cold for a long time. A few hours a day above freezing is not
going to cure it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 9:04 am, wrote:
I've got a coach house in Chicago (house behind the main house at the
street). We went on vacation and never left a faucet trickling and
Chicago just had a very bad freeze. We came back to zero water in our
coach house. The water main is not frozen (front building has water).
The line which runs underground from the front building to the coach
house is what I assume is frozen. We've had a full week of temps in
the 40's, but we still don't have water. Any ideas??
Thanks is advance!

I am in Wisconsin, and even with the severe cold over the past couple
of weeks, we didn't get frost to any significant depths. It seems
very hard to believe that any competent plumber buried the pipe
shallow enough where it would freeze. The water laterals on most
houses here are buried at least 4' down.

Please keep us up to speed once you solve the problem.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 24 Feb 2007 08:38:50 -0800, "Big_Jake"
wrote:

On Feb 24, 9:04 am, wrote:
I've got a coach house in Chicago (house behind the main house at the
street). We went on vacation and never left a faucet trickling and
Chicago just had a very bad freeze. We came back to zero water in our
coach house. The water main is not frozen (front building has water).
The line which runs underground from the front building to the coach
house is what I assume is frozen. We've had a full week of temps in
the 40's, but we still don't have water. Any ideas??
Thanks is advance!

I am in Wisconsin, and even with the severe cold over the past couple
of weeks, we didn't get frost to any significant depths. It seems
very hard to believe that any competent plumber buried the pipe
shallow enough where it would freeze. The water laterals on most
houses here are buried at least 4' down.

Please keep us up to speed once you solve the problem.

i HAD A friend who said her well was dry and for weeks she was getting
water at work. Finally she called someone and found out that the well
pump had broken!

To top it off, it was only 2 or 4 years old.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Big_Jake" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 24, 9:04 am, wrote:
I've got a coach house in Chicago (house behind the main house at the
street).

It seems
very hard to believe that any competent plumber buried the pipe
shallow enough where it would freeze.

True, but he did not say it was a competent plumber. Being a coach house in
back of the main house, it may have been done by the original owner with no
permits or inspections 100 years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 2:08 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Big_Jake" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Feb 24, 9:04 am, wrote:
I've got a coach house in Chicago (house behind the main house at the
street).

It seems
very hard to believe that any competent plumber buried the pipe
shallow enough where it would freeze.

True, but he did not say it was a competent plumber. Being a coach house in
back of the main house, it may have been done by the original owner with no
permits or inspections 100 years ago.

I was thinking that too, but you would think that it would have frozen
on a regular basis over that time, and probably burst. Overall, this
winter has been pretty mild. BTW, coach houses, multiple houses on
one lot and mulitple houses sharing the same water service are pretty
common in my area. I never get to see a shallow service unless I am
vacationing somewhere warm. But, of course, you may be right...

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got a coach house in Chicago (house behind the main house at the
street). We went on vacation and never left a faucet trickling and
Chicago just had a very bad freeze. We came back to zero water in our
coach house. The water main is not frozen (front building has water).
The line which runs underground from the front building to the coach
house is what I assume is frozen. We've had a full week of temps in
the 40's, but we still don't have water. Any ideas??
Thanks is advance!

cut off the supply to the coach house till it gets warmer or you can get it
checked in case there is a leak

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got a coach house in Chicago (house behind the main house at the
street). We went on vacation and never left a faucet trickling and
Chicago just had a very bad freeze. We came back to zero water in our
coach house. The water main is not frozen (front building has water).
The line which runs underground from the front building to the coach
house is what I assume is frozen. We've had a full week of temps in
the 40's, but we still don't have water. Any ideas??

You might have another problem ahead of you. The pipe might have split.
Freezing water expands and often burst or splits or disconnects the unions
of copper water lines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Big_Jake" wrote in message

I was thinking that too, but you would think that it would have frozen
on a regular basis over that time, and probably burst. Overall, this
winter has been pretty mild.

He did mention that water was not left dripping so it may have happened
before. After once, I'd have wanted to fix it right, but . . . . .

Posted to alt.home.repair

Where the heck is that? 36" is deep enough in most of the US of A.

--
Steve Barker

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
wrote:
It is a copper pipe. Ahoudln't I be getting at least some dripping
after the weather warmed up for a week?

Hmmm,
How could they do that? Pipe should be buried below frost line which is
6 feet where I live.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
It is a copper pipe. Ahoudln't I be getting at least some dripping
after the weather warmed up for a week?

Hmmm,
How could they do that? Pipe should be buried below frost line which is
6 feet where I live.

6 Feet? Where do you live, Antarctica?

Just a wag here but since Tony's email ends in .ca that might
indicate Canada

& since a lot of Canada gets as cold or colder than Minnesota, his 6
ft number is probably right

here are current & historical frost depths for Minnesota

http://www.mrr.dot.state.mn.us/resea...haw_graphs.asp

ain't the internet got all sorts of data

and for those interested in the current season snow depth in Yosemite

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/q...Feb-2007+19:18

cheers
Bob